Networking Courses (Advice greatly appreciated)

jano915

Baseband Member
Hi all, I'm going to a good technical school here in St. Louis. It is a 2 year program which in the end I think will give me an associates in information technology. The specific area I am going into will be the networking portion. I took Operating Systems and attained my MCP Certificate, and I am now working on getting my A+ certificate. I will then go onto my CCNA certificate. I'm just curious, since this college is only 2 years, when I transfer to an actual university, what major should I get into? Im VERY intrested in the Networking side and thats what I want to go into. I mean should I go into computer science or what? Im kinda totally lost

Odds are though his school won't cover all the math he needs to take for Software engineering. I'll be through calc 4 + differential equations + linear algebra by the time I graduate with that major. That said, it is a way that can be gone. If you are interested, and happen to like math (or you just don't believe me), you can see the curriculum

I believe there is a network managment major out there. If not, Computer science and possibly Management Information Systems (MIS) might be something for you too.

Thats just it. I don't really like math all too much. I just don't really understand the computer science degree. What can you do with it? And what kind of math classes am I looking at

Unfortunately there really aren't many B.S. degrees based on Networking. You may find some degrees based on Networking at a Private College but at a University you will mainly find things such as an Information Systems degree (IS degree).

You need to figure out what you want to do in Networking. System admin, Network admin, Security analyst, Wi-Fi admin, database admin, and there are a few more. Your true Networking experience and knowledge will come from being employed in the field.

I would suggest a computer science degree with an emphasis (Associates degree) in Networking. Yes you have to take math classes usually such as Statistics, Calculus, etc... but it is really dependent on the school.

net pretty much has the best of it. Please remember though, computer science does not need as much math as SE. Yes, CS still requires math, but I have yet to see a university put as much math into CS as they do into SE.

Odds are though his school won't cover all the math he needs to take for Software engineering. I'll be through calc 4 + differential equations + linear algebra by the time I graduate with that major. That said, it is a way that can be gone. If you are interested, and happen to like math (or you just don't believe me), you can see the curriculum

I believe there is a network managment major out there. If not, Computer science and possibly Management Information Systems (MIS) might be something for you too.

I'm a senior in high school right now and am taking college classes (in Minnesota it's called Post Secondary Education Option; they are free and replace high school classes). So, I'll have about a 2 year jump start on college and have almost all of my gen. eds. completed by the time I go to "real" college since I started the PSEO program my junior year.

I've got a 4.07 GPA and like a 27 ACT (please don't thinkg I'm trying to brag, I'm not at all!), so I qualify for a full scholarship at the school I'm looking at. So, with the "extra" two years I'll have (since I won't need to do any gen ed courses) I figured I'd double major.

I began looking at IT, but couldn't find a 4 year bach. degree for it...just 2 years Associates and whatnot. Anyways, I finally started looking at 4 year degrees dealing with computer science and decided they weren't worth it due to all the math (my weak point; I'm very slow at it) I'd have to take. Pre-Calc and Stats are enough for me. I really wanted to major in IT and Business Management since I want to own (on a larger scale then I do now) my own business--hopefully dealing with computers. IT is more hands on...more dealing with what I'm doing now--fixing and building computers. I HATE the software side of things because of the math and frankly, I don't want to sit at a computer typing code all day (no offense...if that's for you, congrats).

Anyways, long story short, I ditched the idea of a computer major all together and am now planning on doubling in Bus. Mgmt. and Secondary (high school) education to one day become a high school business teacher. I'm also hoping to find a decent minor in computers that would allow me to teach some computer classes. I've decided I'd keep my life-long dreaming of owning my own business on the side right now--I'll address it at some point in time.

Just thought I'd rant a bit :D

Zac

How do you get a 4.07 GPA?
Long story short, weighted grades. For instance, in high school prior to me going PSEO, I took what were called "challenge" and "AP (advanced placement)" classes. They were technically "college" courses taught by our H.S. instructors and at the end your grades were weighted. So, since I've always gotten straight As, a few from the challenge classes were technically A+s on the transcript and that pushed me over 4.0. I know...confusing.

Hmmm...Interesting. I took Statistics in H.S. for college credit, but the school I went to wouldn't accept it. I am not sure how it all works, but be careful about the College credits you get in H.S.

Back
Top Bottom