Network problems.

demagogue

Baseband Member
Hi. I have a network set up at my house, with a laptop and two desktops. One is an Emachines t6532 with XP Media Center. The other is an old 366 with 98. The laptop also has XP. The Laptop an 98 box can see each other and connect to each other, and the media center box can connect to both. But neither the laptop nor the 98 box can connect to the Media Center box. With the laptop, I get a permission error, and with the 98 box I get a "Sharename not found" error.

MCE is XP pro in disguise, i cant remember exactly off hand but i think its something to do with ya login name, i think ya need to create the same login name on the other pcs, hence the permission thing. Someone with experience of this should be to point ya in right direction

On MCE machine open "My Network Places" click "Tools" "Folder options" "View" scroll down to the bottom and check "use simple file sharing"
open control panel>security center>windows firewall>exceptions> check file and print sharing, reboot all computers and they should now all be able to see one another

*do the same for the XP machine as well

Back
Top Bottom