Need help! Wont stay connected!

tucker451

Solid State Member
I built a computer not to long ago from parts sitting around my dads girlfriends house that she had bought for her son and he never used, and parts from an HP desktop that the MB shi* the bed on me a couple of years ago. I'm not a pro but have pretty basic knowledge and can usually diagnose my own problems but this one has me stumped.

The build (forgive me for not knowing some things):
Windows: Windows 7 Home Premium x64
MOBO: Intel DP55WG
CPU: Intel core i7 860 @2.8GHz
RAM: 8GB
Video: ATI Radeon HD 4350
Power: Corsair TX650Watt
HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 7200 64MB
Network: Netgear WNA3100

The problem: I don't have a network card ATM so all I have is the NG wireless adapter. Installed with the factory ROM and later updated with netgears "driver genie". When I boot up the adapter does not connect to my home network that is saved to the network and sharing center. If I unplug the adapter and plug it back in it will connect, sometimes. Sometimes the little blue light that shows it is connect will light up but very faintly and it will not connect. If I unplug the adapter and wait a few minutes and plug it back in, it will connect again. Then after it has been connected for a while it will randomly disconnect itself. When this happens i sometimes have to close applications that are connected to the internet such as Firefox. Sometimes I can just unplug/plug back in and keep going. Also I purchased Guild Wars 2 when it came out and have had no luck playing it because when I go to launch the game my internet quits no matter what. If I shut the game window and reset the adapter i regain internet access. I have uninstalled/reinstalled the driver multiple times with no luck.

Does anyone have any clues or more questions that could help you help me?

Thanks
Tucker

does the netgear router give you any other problems on the other hardware that connects to it?

you could buy a new wireless key and see if that makes a diffrence?

what USB Port is it running and what port is the key running from i.e USB 1,2,3?

how often does it cut out and does the other devices attached cut out at the same time?

have you checked the wireless USB Adapter for damage or the PC/Laptop Ports?

Kind Regards

---------- Post added at 06:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:07 PM ----------

Tucker, Where you on Briteccomputers.co.uk Forum before it got deleted, Just a thought

Kind Regards

I'm not having problems with the router itself. I believe the problem is somewhere in my computer. I have tried other wireless adapters and different routers with the same results. Sometimes it cuts out more than other times. I haven't seemed to find any type of pattern other than when I open up my game. The wireless adapter ALWAYS quits when I start the game. The adapter also never works when the computer first boots.

I have also tried the wireless adapter on a separate desktop and laptop running vista and the adapter worked as it should with no problems. To me that says the adapter is not at fault, nor the router.

I am not sure as to which number USB port it is. I have it plugged in in the front of my desktop tower but I have tried it in all ports as well with the same problem.

No I was not a member of that forum. Apparently I joined this forum years ago. When I went to register today I was told I already had an account here. I guess it's been a while

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 PM ----------

Forgive me if I misunderstood your USB port question. It is 2.0 I believe.

Have you tried going into properties and turning of 802.X authentication? Had my old thinkpad randomly drop the connection 24/7 until i disabled it.

Also set a static IP adress and DNS Server, it helps.

How do I turn off authentication? I don't see a disable checkbox in my wireless properties

Back
Top Bottom