Multiple NIC

david90

In Runtime
If you have multiple NICs in a PC, how does web browser like firefox on the PC decide which NIC to use to access the internet?

Can multiple NICs in a PC be combined into one subnet?

The browser has nothing to do with deciding which to use. The computer uses whichever one has an internet connection.

I don't know about having them in the same subnet, or even having them in 2 different subnets. I don't know why you would need to have them in the same one? In therory they "should" be able to since they each have a different MAC address and therefore could get an different IP. However, in practice I don't know if this will work or not. I don't know if the OS will support 2 NIC's with 2 IP addresses.

The only good reason I can think of to have two NICs on one PC is if you're configuring it as a router/firewall server. One NIC would be configured with the WAN address given by your ISP and the other would be configured with a local IP to connect with the LAN.

you can only use one internet connection at a time, having to plugs on it will not make the internet faster, it will pick one for internet use. You can use the secondary jack to share the internet with another computer or like cboucher said, for a router.

If your internet speeds are being restricted by a single gigabit nic... well. I'm jealous ;)

Back
Top Bottom