Mini home network query

deansplit

Solid State Member
Hi

I have a standard 4 port router with my personal home phone & broadband package, with Talk Talk. I have installed all 7 cables to enable connections in other rooms. What do I need to buy to make the network work, presumably a router with many more ports? Current router has all 4 ports used so one which can accommodate 11 or more? Or does this then fall into a different type of router?

Thanks

You want a switch. Connect the switch to the router and plug other devices into the available ports on the switch.

Thanks Chris, what sort of switch am I searching for, ie. presumably a recommended model/brand?

Yes that should work. You can use any ports on the switch or the router they will be on the same subnet so the devices will be able to communicate regardless of where you plug the in.

Silly question, but I have a couple of 4 port routers from previous contracts... would these both work if both connected to make an 8 port extension?

Technically yes. You would have to put both routers on the same subnet as the first and disable dhcp on both. You would only be able to use the lan side ports.

In my opinion it is much easier just to set up a switch

Back
Top Bottom