LAN packet problems

Lethal Audio

Beta member
I have two computers, one connected to the net via cable modem and the other connected to the first computer via crossover cable. I set it up like that just because I dont have the money for a router right now. It was working fine until a few days ago when I noticed that Battlefield 2 was starting to lag beyond control, which was odd. I thought it was just because my fiance was messing around on the other computer and sucking up all the bandwidth so I blew it off for a while. Normally it doesnt affect my gameplay but I didnt think too much about it. Then yesterday while she wasnt on I tried playing again and the same thing happened so I tried finding the problem and I saw that the connection between the two computers, the LAN, wont stop sending packets back and forth to each other. Only way it stops is when one of the computers is shut off or goes into sleep mode.
Ive run several virus scans on both computers which turned up nothing. Ive tried monitoring the packets with several programs, which does nothing for me as I cant decode what the packets are. And now Im at an impass because I have no idea what to do next. Ive never encountered a problem like this before.
Any suggestions on how to locate whatever it is that they are sending to each other and stop it?

:) unplugg the crossover cable. or. Disable the 2nd nic card thats not being used for the internet.

Back
Top Bottom