im new but really need help

speshuled

Solid State Member
hello to everyone on this forum. it looks like ill be learning a lot. heres my problem...

out of no where i loose wireless connection from my laptop so i reconnect which worked fine until the connection started to get unstable again then it finally stopped connecting. and now im getting the "limited or no connectivity" on my wireless network. the problem is only with my laptop because my girlfriends laptop is working just fine.

please help i need my wireless back.

thanks in advance.

my laptop is an older compaq (that has treated me well for the longest time) presario R3000 running xp.

-ed

Do you have integrated wireless, or is it an external device like a card or usb adapter? Have you made sure that you are up to date will all your drivers, and that you have the latest firmware.

Also, how far away from the hub are you? Somethings that might be causing a problem are thick walls, cordless phones, stuff like that check all of that, too.

Cheers!

Do you have integrated wireless, or is it an external device like a card or usb adapter? Have you made sure that you are up to date will all your drivers, and that you have the latest firmware.

Also, how far away from the hub are you? Somethings that might be causing a problem are thick walls, cordless phones, stuff like that check all of that, too.

Cheers!

My laptop has an integrated wireless card and all my drivers are up to date with latest firmware.

As for distance from router, i was only in the next room over when this happened. The wireless on my laptop was working fine all day and all week up until this time.

-ed

You might want to try doing a power cycle. That is turning off your computer, then unplug your modem, and router. Then wait about a minute. Then plug in the modem first, wait till it is fully started up, then plug in your router. Wait for that to fully load, then turn on your computer. Then try to connect to your wireless and see what happens.

Cheers!

You might want to try doing a power cycle. That is turning off your computer, then unplug your modem, and router. Then wait about a minute. Then plug in the modem first, wait till it is fully started up, then plug in your router. Wait for that to fully load, then turn on your computer. Then try to connect to your wireless and see what happens.

Cheers!

alright ill try that right now. i have a wired router (for the rooms in my house) and a wireless. does it matter which router i power up first?

thanks
ed

Are you using WEP encryption? when you click repair connection does it say INVALID IP ADDRESS? I had the exact same problem two days ago and I fixed it by changing from 64 bit two 128 bit Encryption.

Are you using WEP encryption? when you click repair connection does it say INVALID IP ADDRESS? I had the exact same problem two days ago and I fixed it by changing from 64 bit two 128 bit Encryption.

not sure where to find that option. but when i try to repair i get this message:

Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following actions cannot be completed:

renewing ip address.

i also just found out that i can connect to my neighbors wireless network but not my own.

but my girlfriends laptop can connect to my wireless network

Back
Top Bottom