I think my connection might be a little weird

newjacksm

In Runtime
Ok so I switched to Fios which is faster the the old connection that I had before it. The package I got was 20/5

In games though I am getting more lag. The speedtest I did I am getting 19.7/4.5 so I am in the general area of what I am paying for. When I am downloading torrents, I am maxing out at 2.3MB/s download and about 400-500KB/s upload.. Is this normal???

Even when I upload to a server I max out around 400-500kb/s and when I download off a server its the same 2.3 MB/s

Should I be downloading more then that since my connection? And what about this lag issue in games? When I am on Xbox my connection isn't to great it certianly isn't as good when I had optimum and my connection was worse it was like 12/2!

Seems right. I don't have fios but I assume 20/5 means 20/5 mbps.

20mbps is equivalent to 2.5MB per sec and 5mbps is equivalent to .625 MB per sec.

the lag is probably the server's problem.

Seems right. I don't have fios but I assume 20/5 means 20/5 mbps.

20mbps is equivalent to 2.5MB per sec and 5mbps is equivalent to .625 MB per sec.

the lag is probably the server's problem.

I meant 20mb/s download and 5mb/s upload

And if thats what you meant how to you figure out that 20mbps = 2.5 MB/s?

I meant 20mb/s download and 5mb/s upload

And if thats what you meant how to you figure out that 20mbps = 2.5 MB/s?

You are aware there are 8 bits in a byte, right (or 8 megabits in 1 megabyte). In the computer world things are measured in bytes which is logical as one byte is a single character. The character for a byte is "B"

In the network world, things are measured in bits, which is logical as things can be represented as single binary bits. The character for a bit is "b"

So 20Mb = 2.5MB (20\8), so your download speed on torrents is appropriate, as well as your upload 5Mb = .625MB

Back
Top Bottom