How Many IPV4 Addresses Left?

The reason the IPv6 was made was because we where running out of IP's.
But now we have another solution that works with IPv4 so we are no where near out of IP's

the last ones were allocated either last year or the year before.

and re-allocations have been taking place.

for example people in the UK with orange broadband, (as I used to have) will frequently find themselves allocated a 2.x.x.x address an address that's supposed to be used in the US, reserved space. supposedly for nothing or US military.

now allocated to RIPE, the 1.x.x.x range is taken out of reserved for us mil and given to Asia pacific numbers authority.

if you want to buy a block of addresses now, you'd find yourself having to go to someone who owns addresses and trying to get theirs, as opposed to going to ainc or ripe etc and just requesting like you used to.

Big organizations must have loads of "just in case" IP addresses. But how many do they really need in reserve?

I think we should move to IPV6 anyway. From what I know there is no real down side to IPV6. And not only that, IPV6 has been around almost as long as I have.

Mossiac

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Computer Forums mobile app

What do you mean by "know IPv6?" Outside of a larger address pool and a slightly different format it really isn't much different.

Another question, I've noticed my schools ip is 147 and my home ip is 147, Can a whole region be in the 147 range as well?

It's more likely that it's the same IP than region, but depending on the ISPs out there and how the pools got allocated, all ISPs might assign your part of the world something in the 147 range.

Back
Top Bottom