how fast is adsl 'meant' to go?

N00BI3

Baseband Member
i'm not sure where to ask this so mod's feel free to throw this around :p
neways i have 512kbps adsl (i live in aus and i know,i know we get crappy dsl speeds) neways my 512 gets about 40 kb/s average downloading speed, wheres my friend's dsl (512 aswell) goes 70 kb/s, we live not that far apart. I was just wondering, is dsl speed varied say buy how much ur plan costs etc?

well it just depends who you are downloading of..what rate they give it to you at...anyway i got 1.5mb a sec and have got 2mb per sec ??? weird ey! lol but England can get up to 8mb's!!!! i mean...wow!!!

Yeah, I've got a 256kbsp ADSL and get anywhere from 25 - 35 KB/s... just depends on your ISP, where you live, and how many people are using your ISP at any one time... Also depends on what connection the person your downloading something from has.

My work has 1500kbps - 163 KB/s ADSL though... It's cool.

(Havent got that much to add 'really')
But
Ahh see thats were your wrong Aussie has got good speeds lol but what has been said deppens,

And personally i think its alot to your ISP ;)

*cough telstra and optus shit*
:D

Im happy with my speeds etc, it sucks to be my bro tho he updated to a 'higher speed' at um not not sure but it was 'sposed' to be over *512(im pretty sure) but he didnt notice any diffrence so hes stuck now paying more for really nothing XD haha on him

* As Toby mentioned one speed

1500kbps, whats less than that, like the next down? little confused..

While it could be your ISP, several factors are involved:
1- With ADSL/DSL, it depends on how far you are away from the central office, for download/upload speeds. The farther away you are, the slower it gets.
2- The server you are downloading from is only going to allow you the max it is setup for, which it could be 5kbps, or 500kbps, it just depends on who configured the server, how much bandwidth they have available, etc.
3- Most ISPs offer more speed for more money. I have DSL Ultra, which tops out around 1.5Mbps download, 512kbps upload- which I do average around 1Mbps downloads, but uploads, no where near 512kbps.

If you have the 512kbps service, then the download speeds you are getting sound about average. Consider my service is up to 1.5Mbps, and I'm actually getting 1Mbps, I'm loosing 512kbps, give or take. ADSL/DSL is not like broadband, it's not shared bandwidth. The service you get depends on items above :)

geek_gal said:
1500kbps, whats less than that, like the next down? little confused..

It goes like this 256, (some places have 384, don't know why?) 512, (some have 768 also I think), 1500, etc. I think with most ISP's and places it goes up by 256kbps intervals though. Although Bigpond only offers 256, 512, and 1500.

lol my 512 goes at a average connection speed of 968-ish, does that mean i'm lucky? :p

Back
Top Bottom