How is this done (change IP to something specific)?

MS224

Beta member
Hello ComputerForums Community,

I've been trying to figure this out for a very long time now to no avail. I know someone who can change his IP address to have the 3rd number as divisible by 8 and the 4th number as a .0 (i.e 56.45.200.0) whenever he wants to. This proves to be extremely advantageous for him in a game that we play since the game server determines priority in this manner. He won't tell me how he does it, and after spending so much time searching the internet for answers I've come to the forums as a last resort, hoping someone out there has an idea of how this is done...

He says all he uses to do this is his internet connection (no proxies, VPNs, software, etc.). He also showed me a couple screenshots to give me a hint, which I've attached.

I noticed the internet hostname changes in the second screenshot. It omits the ISP and the internet hostname seems to be the exact same thing as the new IP address. Is there any way at all that this can be done without any external software? I know for a fact that he has a .0 IP address, but I just don't know how he gets it.

If anyone knows the method and could explain it to me I would be eternally grateful. Thanks a lot in advance for your time.

Attachments

• Eprl6QF.png
    Eprl6QF.png
    22.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 4Fwlpcy.png
    4Fwlpcy.png
    21.1 KB · Views: 34
some friend he is.
rightclick on your internet icon located in the bottom right of the taskbar.
click "open network and sharing center"
you will see to the right the name of your connection right below "access type". click the blue link right beside "connection:"
click properties.
choose internet protocol version 4 and click properties.
now you can change your IP, Submask, Default gateway and DNS server.

some friend he is.
rightclick on your internet icon located in the bottom right of the taskbar.
click "open network and sharing center"
you will see to the right the name of your connection right below "access type". click the blue link right beside "connection:"
click properties.
choose internet protocol version 4 and click properties.
now you can change your IP, Submask, Default gateway and DNS server.

Thanks for your reply. I've tried this before, but I can't connect to the internet after I do it for some reason.. also I believe this only changes your internal IP and not your external IP? If I'm wrong please let me know.

yeah it's only your internal network.
if you want to stay connected on a standard network you have to make the default gateway 192.168.0.1
your submask should be 255.255.255. X (X = whatever you want from 0 - 255. just use "0")
your IP should be 192.168.0.X (X = whatever you want from 0 - 255 (mine is "10")) so it's only the last part of the IP you can change if you want to stay connected on a standard network.

Are you sure your "friend" doesn't use a proxy?

---------- Post added at 05:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

if you want to make changes to the router then type in the default gateway in your web browsers URL bar.

yeah it's only your internal network.
if you want to stay connected on a standard network you have to make the default gateway 192.168.0.1
your submask should be 255.255.255. X (X = whatever you want from 0 - 255. just use "0")
your IP should be 192.168.0.X (X = whatever you want from 0 - 255 (mine is "10")) so it's only the last part of the IP you can change if you want to stay connected on a standard network.

Are you sure your "friend" doesn't use a proxy?

---------- Post added at 05:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

if you want to make changes to the router then type in the default gateway in your web browsers URL bar.

Yeah I'd never call him a friend.. He's just someone I met in-game who's well-known for getting priority over everyone else with a .0 IP. I'm sure he doesn't use a proxy either. So if I change my internal IP is there any way I can make the game or a site I visit think that's my external IP address? I don't understand how he can change his IP to pretty much whatever he wants.

Personally I think he's jerking your chain. External IP addresses, the ones the outside world sees, are issued by your internet service provider.

Easiest way to get a 0 ending IP address is to contact your ISP and get on a static IP address. It remains the same address no matter if you reboot your modem. See if they have a static IP ending in 0 that you could have.
Depending on who you're with you may get it for free or a small fee. When I was with SuddenLink and Comcast we had 5 static IP's that came with the package for free. I made quick use of those trust me.

Check in to that and see what you come up with.

Personally I think he's jerking your chain. External IP addresses, the ones the outside world sees, are issued by your internet service provider.

Easiest way to get a 0 ending IP address is to contact your ISP and get on a static IP address. It remains the same address no matter if you reboot your modem. See if they have a static IP ending in 0 that you could have.
Depending on who you're with you may get it for free or a small fee. When I was with SuddenLink and Comcast we had 5 static IP's that came with the package for free. I made quick use of those trust me.

Check in to that and see what you come up with.

I have a dynamic IP address right now (which never changes unless I change it anyway), so I'm guessing if they do have one available I will have to pay a fee for a static IP, which I don't want to do. I have contacted them though just to see if one is available. He might be jerking my chain, but I know for a fact that he has a .0 IP and can change it if he wants to. Also, if the .0 was assigned by his ISP I would have to guess that the hostname wouldn't be the IP address like it shows in the screenshot he sent me. He could have fabricated that too, but I don't know. I might be searching for something that's impossible to do.

It must be falsified to a certain degree since a .0 address cannot be used by a single machine - it is a reserved address which represents the identity of the network itself. i.e. a home network and subnet could be 192.168.1.0/24 - but 192.168.1.0 and 192.168.1.255 are reserved for network and broadcast addresses respectively.

In this scenario, if you try to change your internal/private ip to 192.168.1.0 (which you can do using the steps mentioned previously) then you'll find you aren't able to communicate with anything else on the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet (and therefore the internet too).

I'm not doubting that he has created these images, nor that he may have a technique to improve game-play - but have you actually verified the address he claims to have is him?

Back
Top Bottom