Help setting up home server?

Shandan97

Beta member
I need help setting up a server for my home, I have 4 computers here, and transferring files is just a hassle because I need to transfer larger files. I don't have much to work with here though, I think I have an old computer that I can use, but it's highly unlikely. But I do think I may be able to do it through my computer that I'm using now, because I have an SSD That I use for everything on my computer, and then I have a hard drive that came with the computer when I bought it, and I don't use it at all. Is there any way that I could turn that hard drive into a server for all of the computers in my home?

If it's hooked up to the computer then this is what I would do.

First, setup file sharing on all your computers.
Second, share the hard drive from your computer.
Third, move all the files and folders you want to share to the hard drive.
Lastly, connect to the shared hard drive from the other computers.

I can go into more detail but this is the general idea. I'm not sure how much knowledge you have with computers so let us know if you need more details.

There are many ways to share large files and folder,
For a small group of computer you don't need to have a dedicated Server with a server operating system, you can just create a share on one of the client computers with larger hard drive spaces, as per the requirement and join that computer on work group and start sharing your files.
Another easy way of sharing file is to buy one NAS box and a Linksys switch, but if you already have a switch in place then all you need to buy is a NAS box and connect it to the existing switch. The documentation that comes with the NAS box will explain you how to configure the NAS Box.
Note: Whatever way is convenient for you, don't forget to back up you data. You must use some form of back up to be safe.

If it's hooked up to the computer then this is what I would do.

First, setup file sharing on all your computers.
Second, share the hard drive from your computer.
Third, move all the files and folders you want to share to the hard drive.
Lastly, connect to the shared hard drive from the other computers.

I can go into more detail but this is the general idea. I'm not sure how much knowledge you have with computers so let us know if you need more details.

This is the best way for your situation.

I have a home server setup running a basic desktop computer using XP that runs 24/7. That way if I get on my laptop to get a file on the shard drive I don't need to boot up my desktop to get to the shared drive since my server is always on. With yours, the computer with the shared drive needs to be on for other computers to access that drive. Just share the hard drive and you can map them on any other computer on the network.

Back
Top Bottom