help about switch needed

woolrang

Solid State Member
hi,
i want to use a switch in such a way that at port 1 server will be connected and all other ports (i.e. from 2 to 8) will be connected to other computers or switches. i want network to be such that users from all other ports are able to connect to server at port1 but they are not able to connect to each other. that is other ports should not see each other but only port1.
how can this be done ? is some cisco switch with protected port necessary or it can be done on other switches also.

can we do this by putting all ports in seperate vlans and port1 is member of all vlans
please help i am new to networking

That is a super, in-depth way to do things. It is possible I'm sure, but it's over even my head. I can say it's going to take a pretty hefty switch and your run-of-the-mill $20 8 port switch for Wal-Mart won't do it. You need to be able to login to the switch and configure it. I'm guessing that the vlans are the way to go, but I've forgotten all my Cisco classes from College (i took 4).

thanks for reply friend . i will try doing it and tell my experience for the benefit of others .

Back
Top Bottom