have a "open" wifi network how do I close it

siggy

Baseband Member
At the moment I have a Wifi network which is unsecured (wpa?) I want to make it secured (wep?) if I've got the wep and wpa around the wrong way forgive me.......

now I have a Lynksys wireless g adsl gateway how can I tell it thats it is to be a secured system and to only allow certain machines in?

I know I need a key but how do I get one and do I have to manually set it up on all machines

you dont "get" a wep key. You create it. If I remember correctly, for 128 bit key its 13 characters you create. It might give you an option to use a pass phrase like - "Im sick of Subway Jared" and it will create a wep key for you from that. You can then print that screen to save the wep key, which you will need to input into whatever machine you want to connect wirelessly.
To secure it, I would suggest 3 things.
1. Create a unique SSID name, not the default linksys, then shutting off broadcasting of the SSID. Doing this prohibits bandwidth thieves from seeing your network, therefore move on to find a network elsewhere.
2. Use Mac filtering ... this is where you input into the router the mac addresses of pc's (that connect wireless - i.e. laptops) so that the router will only let machines with those specific mac addresses have access. Mac addresses are unique to the LAN cards / wireless cards. No 2 are the same.
3. Then finally the wep key.

Hope this is helpful

how do I find the information for my network and how do I change the informatiopn to make a closed network

"how do I find the information on my network"

what information are you referring to?

"how do I change the information to make a closed network"

your linksys manual can explain this in more detail if you follow the steps I gave you above.

Back
Top Bottom