error 6118 cmd

ace777

Fully Optimized
i just bought a new laptop and when i tried to use the net view command in cmd i got this error saying 6118. ive looked all over the internet and i can not find anything on the topic that was helpful. i will give serious reps to anyone that can help me out. it also said something about the domain and network names (i think) not bieng the same is there a way to modify this other than system.ini?

btw its an acer aspire
xp
and its over a wep encrypted network.

thanks

-ace777

Do you have ICF (Internet Connection Firewall / Windows Firewall) installed? If so, just for craps and giggles, try disabling it to see if the error resolves. If it does resolve, that means that the file sharing ports are being blocked. Open UDP and TCP ports 135 through 139.

If that does not help, check the workgroup name that is set up on your laptop. If it is different than "Workgroup", try setting it to workgroup as possibly there is a NetBIOS issue with separate workgroup names.

Try both of these and tell me if the problem resolves.

disabling the firewall did it, anyway im using a linux machine and a xp machine i want to monitor the linux one on my network (its a simulation) and i cannot packet sniff the linux machine or even detect it any ideas?

some one please give him rep BTW i can't!

Did you create the firewall exceptions so you can keep the firewall enabled? Go to Control Panel > Network Connections > (your connection) ... right-click, go to Properties. Go to advanced tab, click the settings button to add the exceptions, add 10 port entries ... UDP 135, UDP 136, UDP 317, UDP 138, UDP 139, TCP 135, TCP 136, TCP 137, TCP 138, and TCP 139. Also just to be on the safe side, add an IP address exception to 127.0.0.1 (loopback address).

As far as the Linux machine, have you installed Samba on that computer? Samba is required to network Linux and Windows. Sorry if I seem to be starting with the basics, I just want to start somewhere.

its fine ive already done tht, im using ubuntu and it won't detect it as a workstation i just need the ip of that linux machine, i do not know bash commands so i can't find it out nor will i detect any packeets even though im online and using the internet i've got nothing.

Back
Top Bottom