Equally Sharing Broadband Connection.

connchri

Daemon Poster
Ok folks, I have a bit of a question.

The senario is that me and another 4 peps are sharing a flat in 2 weeks time and I'm getting the phoneline and Broadband all organised. I'll be getting 16 or 24MB Broadband (YEY!) and we'll all be sharing it. The problem is, a few of my flatmates have a habit of constantly downloading (either due to spyware, virus's, updates, P2P or BitTorrent). I don't have the time or patience to constantly keep there computers in tune and I would love to find a router or software program (to run on a make shift gateway) that would automatically/dynamically equally share the bandwidth between us when were using it.

By saying dynamically and automatically, I mean the router or gateway stopping a single person from hogging the 24MB Bandwidth when others are also using it, but also not statically limiting everyone to 1/5 the 24MB Bandwidth constantly. ie, if two are using it at the same time, they would get the full 50% bandwidth each while if 3 were using it they would get the full 33% of the bandwidth. If anyone knows a router or Gateway software that could do this, it would be great.

The reason I'm looking for this is the fact that the current setup in our present flat (sharing 4MB BB) grinds to a hault for other users when one is constantly downloading. I don't want to restrict users from downloading, but I also dont want this slowwwwwww dowwwwn problem.

Cheers

Look into a Linux-based program called Clark-Connect. When I was in school, we configured a Clark-Connect box as our main firewall, which also enabled us to limit bandwidth to each PC on the network. It was a while ago when I did this, but that's the name of the program. If you have an old machine you can install it on, you would be in business!

You can do this on newer routers with QOS, with the cheapest being the BEFSR41 and WRT54 series.

You also have highly advanced QOS on any current production cisco router.

could i please have a link to some of the products described above, these sound really usefull to me as i want to set up a shated internet between my whole house with 3 pcs.

Back
Top Bottom