Dsl problems????

sspryte

Beta member
Ok I have been dealing with dsl problems for a while now. I am getting ready to pull my hair out!
Let me give you the run down. On the first of the month I had my dsl speed bumped up from 1000 to 3072. And it has been giving me fits ever since. I keep losing my adsl connection. I have had my dsl provider check the line. They say everything is fine. I have replaced my modem twice....I have replaced all my cables...It loses connecion at exactly the same time everyday. 8:30 pm....and does nto become active again until 8:30 am....I have tried rebooting the modem...no go. I have tried rebooted the pc.....no go....The lights on the modem are like this: power=green status=blinking adsl=on and off ethernet=green. I am using a d=link modem right now.
I am thinking it has something to do with the dhcp server and the lease? But I am a newbie with all this networking and I am kinda lost.
Can anyone PLEASE help me??????
Sspryte

Ok I went through my event viewer. And I DID start having dhcp problems as soon as my dsl provider upped my speed from 1000 to 3072. It keeps giving me the message: Description:
The IP address lease 217.51.40.109 for the Network Card with network address 0013D4D96B33 has been denied by the DHCP server 192.168.1.1 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message).

OR

Description:
Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 0013D4D96B33. The following error occurred:
The operation was canceled by the user. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

Does this help in anyway?
Sspryte

Your DHCP server in this case is the modem. For some reason, it is not communicating properly with the modem. This could be related to a firmware issue with the modem itself, or something has happened to your network card/configuration. More than likely, it's the modem. Make sure the modem is setup properly, you can check this by going to Start>Run>type "cmd" without quotes, and click on OK. A black box pops up. Type "ipconfig" and hit enter. Take note of what your default gateway is. Type this IP address into your web browser, and it should give you the web-based interface. If you have problems doing this, it's an issue with your modem, and your ISP needs to fix it.

Hmmmm I do not think that is the problem. I have tried 3 different brand new modems and they all give me the same error. But I am going to change from dsl to cable modem. So that should fix the problem. (I hope) I am just tired of dealing with this issue.

Wait, you tried 3 different brands of modems? Were they provided by your dsl provider? If not, then you have to provide the MAC address to your dsl provider. For every broadband connection, the modem being used must be registered to the broadband provider so they can allow you to use the internet.

Other solutions:
1. Unplug the modem for at least one minute then replug. This will clear the modem's memory and reregister your computer.

2. Set TCP/IP settings to obtain its ip and dns addresses automatically

Back
Top Bottom