connectivity problems

irt2

Solid State Member
im new to ethernet networking and im having issues networking my laptop to a tower im using as a storage bin. the hardware is connected and working with all the correct drivers, ive connected the two with cat 5 cable and ive run the windows home and small office setup wizards but i keep getting the *computer network/!* symbol in my tray with the notice "the connection has limited or no connectivity. you might not be able to access...." blah blah. when i check the status of the connection it says that the problem occurred becausse the network did not assign a network address to teh computer. what do i do from here? ive run the wizards several times, used different cables - all cat 5 of 5e - and done everything i can think of save kicking stuff and hoping it works afterward. im going to try accessing my router's information and getting the pertinent dns stuff and manually configuring the ip address and subnet mask - HELP WOULD BE GREAT, THANKS!

First do you have a wired router or not this will help, so if you do you need standard cat5e cables but if you are dirctly connecting both of them you will need crossover cables.

Then see if the computers are communicating.

Hope this works :)

im directly connecting both computers without a router. now im using cat 5e crossoverr cables but ive still got the limited or no connectivity. this is the part that hangs me up: ive got "limited connectivity" but i can access the files on teh other computer at a pretty good transfer rate. i cant, however, browse the net from the other computer through my laptop's wireless card even though ive enabled it. any ideas?

Laptop wireless card requires an access point (wireless router) be connected to your internet service. ICS -Internet Connection Sharing needs to be involved here, if you want to connect these 2 pc's (laptop & tower) without a router.

Honestly though, you're much better off spending $25-$30 on a wireless router (will have 1-4 hard wire ports on back) to get all the services you want.

Your limited or no connectivity issues are probably a result of APIPA, Windows Automatic
Private IP Addressing. It uses this when it can't get a dhcp address or doesnt have a static ip address. In command prompt, type ipconfig /all and you will probably see an address like: 169.x.x.x. APIPA allows you to connect your 2 pc's and share your files, but without ICS or a router, you wont get access to internet on both pc's ... just the one connected to your ISP.

You could configure one computer to act as a wireless router, but like cross said your better off getting a wireless router.

Back
Top Bottom