Can't access website

almir

Beta member
I got problem accessing website on my PC running Vista. Website i'm tring to open is thepiratebay.org but it also could be some more websites that I cant access that I just don't know.
I bought new PC with Vista on it and at begining I was able to access the website with no problems, but last few months something happened and it wont let me open that site- it loads some different website. I know that website is working because I tried it on different PC and didnt have problems.
I tried couple of thing I found on net but it didnt work.
Some people say it has something to do with router or my ip is blocked, but I dont think that is the case because I have 3 PCs on same network. I have modem going to my router and from there to PCs. I tried loading site from other 2 PCs and it works fine.
It has to be something about Vista so if anyone has any idea what could be the problem and knows how to fix it please let me know.

Thx

Can you try visiting the site on a different web-browser?

It sounds like it could have been some program that modified your host file.

Show your systems hidden files, then navigate to this location:
C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc
there is a file in there called hosts
edit this file and see if you see an entry for thepiratebay.org
If you don't, then this is not your problem.

Also, try clearing your browser's cache.

It could easily be your IP is being blocked. You see your three computers all have the same IP (most likely). Your router is basically getting an IP from your ISP then giving it to each one of your computers by giving each of your computers a LAN IP. So in really everyone of your computers could be blocked by your IP number on the website or your host file is messed up on all three of your computers...

Think about it.. Unless you have a virus/worm that is messing with your host files on your computers.. It's not likely your host file on every computer.

Daeva
I found that file and it contains this website
it has this list:

::1 localhost
91.121.72.87 mininova.org
91.121.72.87 www.mininova.org
91.121.72.87 thepiratebay.org
91.121.72.87 www.thepiratebay.org
91.121.72.87 mininova.org
91.121.72.87 www.mininova.org
91.121.72.87 thepiratebay.org
91.121.72.87 www.thepiratebay.org

Now, what do I need to do, and what this means, why those websites got blocked?

vampist
I dont think ip is blocked because like i said i can access this website from rest of my PCs on the same network except this PC i'm using.

thx guys for responding

And to add i tried IE and firefox doesnt work on eather one.

D'oh! My bad mate, I must have miss read your post. I thought you said you couldn't access it from the other computers. In that case it is indeed most likely your host file.

You should delete those entries. :)

edit: I went to that IP it looks like you might have gotten a small virus from a person trying to promote a internet radio.

What that file does is re-map that web-site address to that url. It's like having an internal DNS server. I use it all the time for testing internal web-sites. Yes, deleting these entries will solve your problems. This file controls that for all web-browsers, if these entries in the file exist, you will not be able to access these sites. Period.

You can also modify the security settings on this file (though I wouldn't) to prevent it's modification in the future.

EDIT: You can leave localhost in there. Thats a default.

Thank you guys for your help, removing those entries fixed my problem!

Only thing that i'm worried now is how did hosts file got corrupted. I have AVG free antivirus and when scanned didnt find any viruses just a lot cookies which are not risk i hope. Should i be worried that there is still something that can cause some more problems?

Back
Top Bottom