Can other people outside your network view whats on your PC?

ClearSummersDay

Solid State Member
I'm using what I like to believe is a secure wireless network and I do a lot of surfing in my spare time. I buy goods online, talk to friends in other parts of the world via Skype and I download Hollywood movies off torrent sites which I'm getting to grips with right now. Can another user outside your network view whats happening while doing what I'm doing. Its a stupid question probably, but I'm not computer savvy and I'm old and gray.

It's not a stupid question. You just don't know too much about computers. What security do you have on your wireless router? Make sure you don't have WEP. WEP can be cracked with the write program very easily. It is a very weak encryption. It also only runs in 54 mpbs which is very slow. I suggest:
"WPA2-PSK [AES]" security. That can run up to 300 mpbs. As far as torrents go, be weary.
You should get:
Releases

Download PeerBlock 1.1 Whenever you download a torrent make sure it is up. The last thing you want is to receive a letter from the government and then your ISP threatens to drop your service. The chances of that happening are slim but the possibility is still there. If another user manages to get into your network they can only view your logs. They can't spy on you and see exactly what you're doing on the computer. Worst case is they can view your history from the logs as I just mentioned. The logs will show them all the past websites you were on and internal IP's.

Security type: WPA-Personal
Encryption type: AES

I do not see the option for "WPA2-PSK [AES]" but its better than WEP? I also use a paid VPN service with a tunneling service. If the worst case scenario happens when someone hacks into your network, can they view logs under you real ip whilst you were surfing using the paid VPN or if not a paid VPN, something like Hotspot Shield?

Security type: WPA-Personal
Encryption type: AES

I do not see the option for "WPA2-PSK [AES]" but its better than WEP? I also use a paid VPN service with a tunneling service. If the worst case scenario happens when someone hacks into your network, can they view logs under you real ip whilst you were surfing using the paid VPN or if not a paid VPN, something like Hotspot Shield?

Ok, if it isn't there than use something other than WEP. Stay away from that. Yes, use "WPA-Personal Encryption type: AES" instead. It is better than WEP. More secure in that aspect. If someone gets into your network worst case scenario is yes they can view the logs, and see your real IP. You would have to have wireless enabled for this to happen and that person would have to be around your neighborhood. Example: One of your neighbors. If you're using a VPN, that doesn't matter also you don't need to pay for one. You can surf anonymously with a proxy for free.

Back
Top Bottom