Accessing PC from outside

sebastian

Beta member
I'm going try to explain myself as clearly as I can so it all makes sense....

I have 4 computers in total: 2 desktops & 1 laptop with xp home edition) and macbook. I have my wireless and LAN all connected and configured so that I can access one computer from the other. Depending what I am doing, most of the time, I have my external HD via USB 2.0 connected to the Macbook and half the EHD partitioned as HFS+ and the other half as FAT32.

This way if I'm on any of my other 3 PC's I'm able to access my I-tunes library with no problem.... or vice verse: accessing any other PC folder from my Mac.

Nevertheless, how to I go about accessing these folders through the internet from work or any other remote place? Shouldn't I be able to type in the IP address in the browsers url and then enter the user name and password of th PC that I am trying to access when it prompts it....

I hear of people accessing their home PC's from their office by all types of different methods and I can't figure out how to do it.

Can somebody help me out?

Thanks,
Sebastian

I'm going try to explain myself as clearly as I can so it all makes sense....

I have 4 computers in total: 2 desktops & 1 laptop with xp home edition) and macbook. I have my wireless and LAN all connected and configured so that I can access one computer from the other. Depending what I am doing, most of the time, I have my external HD via USB 2.0 connected to the Macbook and half the EHD partitioned as HFS+ and the other half as FAT32.

This way if I'm on any of my other 3 PC's I'm able to access my I-tunes library with no problem.... or vice verse: accessing any other PC folder from my Mac.

Nevertheless, how to I go about accessing these folders through the internet from work or any other remote place? Shouldn't I be able to type in the IP address in the browsers url and then enter the user name and password of th PC that I am trying to access when it prompts it....

I hear of people accessing their home PC's from their office by all types of different methods and I can't figure out how to do it.

Can somebody help me out?

Thanks,
Sebastian
You have a couple of options.
1. Get a VPN, and connect into your network through the VPN. This will allow you to access all files on the network as if you were in the house.
2. Get remote access software, logmein.com is a great one (i'm not sure if it is compatible with MAC, but I'm sure you will be able to find one). This will allow you to open up any computers desktop through your browser and control it through there. It will be as if you are at your desk. Mind you that many of them cannot stream music, unless you buy the pro edition (less than $100).

Back
Top Bottom