Access point issues.

BikerEcho

Fully Optimized
I had some problems at work today.
a large group of students where using our laptop in one room, but some of them was not able to log on to our network.
i tested it out later where i took 15 laptops and tried to log on with them all. 1 laptop would not log on.
i can switch out the laptop that would not log on, and then the new one will log on just fine.
i restarted the access point and switched out 5 of the 15 laptops with 5 other identical laptops tried again and , yet again 1 laptop would not log on. it seams like that the access point are having trouble managing more then 14 laptops.
it's an expensive Cisco Access point. does this sound familiar to anyone?

Yep. They can only handle so many at a time. Most of the time it's a router issue. The router for that classroom may be set to 15 on at one time. To up that could be asking for trouble. You'll only have so much bandwidth going to that room. You'll have to increase the bandwidth before upping the amount of users on at one time.
You could lower the lease time so inactive log on's get booted off. Frees up the bandwidth allocated to them. Also rebooting the router and access points from time to time helps.

Last edited:
thanks for replying. that makes sense.
Problem is that i am not really allowed to mess around with the rooter.
i know we are getting a shipment with 10 more access points. don't know when, but they will come.
do you think putting in 2 access points in the same room will help?
If i put 2 access point up in the same room they will both be wired to the same switch, but at least there are 2 units to allocate the WiFi.

I have to get up with our ISP/telephone service. All of it comes through a T-1 line. The router I can't get in to and I need to have some adjustments made to the settings.
It appears we're having the same problem. A couple of our guests seem to not be able to get on when the system is loaded up. The amount of users able to get on at one time is set too low.

Back
Top Bottom