XP on two machines?

joxley1990

Golden Master
Ok, I have a copy of XP on this pc, and I want XP on another. I dont know much about the activation process, so I have a few questions.

Would it be legal to use the same product key on both machines? Couldnt I just say I changed the mobo and HDD, and video card, because they both have the same processor, a P4.

I tried to put ReactOS on, but couldn't lol. I just need an operating system that can play Age Of Mythology!!

Yes it would be ok, i think the allowed times of installation are on 2 PC's and install up to 15 times, if you need to reformat ect.

Computer Genius said:
Yes it would be ok, i think the allowed times of installation are on 2 PC's and install up to 15 times, if you need to reformat ect.

NOT!

You can install one (1) XP license on one (1) machine only!
You can't even use OEM installed XP to transfer to another newer machine if you scrap the old one...........

http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/YourPC_do.mspx

Another common misconception is that you can transfer a preinstalled or OEM copy of Windows from an "old" machine to a new machine. An OEM software license may not be transferred from and old machine to a new machine—even if that machine is no longer in use. The OEM license is tied to the machine on which it was originally installed and can't be transferred to other machines.

man microsoft suck, so you have to spend another £100+ if you get a new computer? Are they serious?

A multi-billion dollar company and they are squeezing every last penny out of us.

That's what happens in a monopoly.

Lac3y said:
man microsoft suck, so you have to spend another £100+ if you get a new computer? Are they serious?

A multi-billion dollar company and they are squeezing every last penny out of us.

That's what happens in a monopoly.

no. I think that u can install the win xp retail version as many times as u want, but only to one pc at a time.

Yeup.. 1 install on 1 machine only.

however.. I've installed my version twice (when i got a new hard disk).. i did get an error when activating... i got put through to a customer service assistant, just say no to the 2 queestions and then they give you the right code no problems.

Yes this is breaking some rules, but cummon!

youd have to be a fool to buy it again

Actually, I installed a preinstalled version of Windows ME on another computer one time. They were both Dells, but one was about 3 years older than the other one. It originally came on the newer one, I got XP, then installed ME on the older one. Worked like a charm.

EDIT: Jay, your post number is scary. :eek: :D

Back
Top Bottom