XP Startup hellishly slow

UK31337

Fully Optimized
Hi, I've got a problem.

I had WindowBlinds, which I've since got rid of because XP had slowed down on startup. I got rid, but still a slow startup. I ran various registry cleaners, antivirus, spyware scan, you name it I've done it, but still no joy. When I originally bought the laptop, it booted into Windows like magic - no trouble. WindowBlinds made it hang a bit when it said "Welcome" (I only have one username with no password, so it doesn't normally slow there).

Having done all my tweaking, it's got even slower! Now it's so slow, I can see the "Windows is starting up" fading in, which I never could before. It's awful, the whole system is slow too. I'm running Norton AV 2003 and Norton Personal Firewall 2003, but they've never been a problem.

I tend to think Windows may be hosed in some way, and a reformat could be the way out, but I really don't want to do that if I can avoid it - it's just too risky.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: The machine specs are in my sig.

I had a similar problem except it was with icons/lost files, i had to reformat my way out. :) It was time for my yearly reformat anyway.

Back
Top Bottom