XP Crash before Login

CzarD

Beta member
Heres the summary:

Motherboard broke, so bought a new one, and a new cpu(old one is now broken also, don't ask.)

Loaded all the parts into the comptuer, and it fails too boot. Odd, but i noticed that i have the hard drive slaved to the cdrom. Not good.

After fixing that, boots up fine. To a point. Windows asks me what i want to start as(safe mode, normal, etc).

No matter what i choose, it loads all the files and then restarts. No beeps, no error messages, nothing. I know its loading the files from the correct place though as in safe mode, it shows where it is pulling them from. It gets all the way through, to the step right before the login screen appears.

Any ideas?

I have tried to use a XP cd, but i cannot remember my administrator password(which is rediculous, there is only one account on the computer and its mine. And i use the password every day on my other computer, so something is a'd up)

I plan to get a better xp cd tomorrow and make a bart disc, and see how that goes, but any ideas right now?

Thanks,
Will

i dont think you can boot from the old hdd. you need to install a fresh version of windows. because you have changed your mobo and cpu your windows will not work from your hdd.
woz

Yeah thats completly true. You'll have to do a format of that hard drive and re-install Windows fresh.

After that, it'll work fine.

It doesn't work though because of some saftey measure Windows put on XP, where if anything major changed, it'd fail to boot to stop people stealing or something like that. They did it purposely anyway...

Back
Top Bottom