xp activation

ericf19931

Daemon Poster
when i reinstalled my windows xp, i had to call Microsoft to get my windows activated, i thought you can still activate without calling even though its the second time, anyone know why this is happening?

Hmm.....i think maybe if you install Windows into a new pc, with different hardware, it won't activate....but installing onto the same pc i would have thought should work.

Matt

Im guessing you have a Windows XP cd. Now that CD can and will work on any pc. The only thing you need is the serial key, which comes with every CD. This doesnt mean you need that CD with that key to make it work. You can come to my house and use your cd with my key and get my PC up and running. Now once you register your CD key it becomes active to that machine. Hardware doesnt matter about when your installing windows XP. Its all in the hard drive.

im no expert at this but i think it uses somthing called a tattoo, which is on a peice of hardware (like the motherboard). Did you make your system or buy it (like from dell)?

i think thomas is right as when i changed my mobo it asked to re-activate my copy of windows that i have had installed on the same hardrive for a long itme.

thomas49th said:
im no expert at this but i think it uses somthing called a tattoo, which is on a peice of hardware (like the motherboard). Did you make your system or buy it (like from dell)?
it was built

I had the same problem when I had to reinstall my windows XP from a CD too. I reinstalled it on the same PC, same CD and everything and when I activated it online it said invalid serial number so I had to call microsoft and they did it for me and all was good. I don't know why this happened and it's kinda odd to me why it did happen. My guess is that they might have had a problem with their activation or changed something.... who knows????

Someone probably put that key on the internet, so microsoft would have blocked it. So the legitimate people with the key need to ring up

Back
Top Bottom