XFire Question

serani

In Runtime
So I recently installed my second HD 4870...just to play with it :p

Well I know my PSU might not be strong enough, as it whistles with both 4870's attached.

750w PC Power & Cooling PSU-

( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341011 )

Which may be the answer to this question, but I figured I'd bring it up anyways:

I bought Crysis recently just for some eye candy. Playing with one 4870 attached I can play with all High Settings (low,med,high,very high) with no graphical lag, tearing, etc

Although, when I use Xfire with the second card attached I do experience graphical lag in High settings..figuring I'd be able to run Very High Smoothly and not doing so was a disappointment.

But this is my first trial with XFire, so I am not too discouraged.

Thanks

K i know this really doesnt involve what your asking, but if xfire is a chat program used by thousands of ppl, and cross-fire is only used by a couple hundred, why use the name xfire to say crossfire?

Well,

In my leetness I find that "X" is a suitable abbreviation for "cross" and as soon as you open the thread you can clearly see that it has nothing to do with that program.

I guess the title is a little misleading...care much?

** And CROSSfire is only used by a couple hundred people?

Orly?

*** Wait, you should most definatly contact AMD/ATI and inform them that the Milton Bradly Company made a board game in the 70's also named Crossfire.

So I wanted to make sure that people on the boards knew I meant Crossfire the GPU connection, rather than Crossfire board game...which was played by millions....millions !

i would think its your PSU, if you aren't giving the two cards enough power...then they won't function completely...so i think its time you upgraded the PSU :p

Actually, at first when I was skimming through I thought you meant you were running Xfire while playing Crysis.

Your PSU has more than enough power, that's not the problem. The whistling might just be the fan spinning up when under load. Unless your PSU is bad, it shouldn't be the problem.

Do you have the latest drivers? That can greatly impact performance.

Yea I've got the latest drivers, they came with the original software release.

Haven't checked in a week or so, but the ati site doesn't support the 4800's yet.

Only I haven't done to my 4870's is the hotfix.

Installing a few case fans on the metal mesh siding of my case, at least two 80mm right in front of my Gfxcards to help circulations.

I figured a second 4870 would turn my box into a heat source for the whole house, but it has not made the temperature rise too significantly.

Thanks

**Scratch the ati drivers comment, they now support 4800's :p**

Yeah. There was an ATI driver update a couple days ago. That could help significantly. With multi-GPU solutions, the drivers play a huge role.

I'll be sure to d/l the newest drivers this afternoon, as well as the hotfix.

Free, with CrossFire, the connector between the two cards; there are two slots that this can be used in. Does it matter which I use? I've currently got it installed in the slot closest to the rear of my box.

I would have thought a single 4870 would be able to run Crysis on Very High...I knew it was a graphically demanding game but I guess I had no idea.

**Oh !**

Is Cross-Fire designed for a specific resolution?

Well, I went to search for this information and I found:

http://www.amdzone.com/index.php/reviews/71/9946-ati-radeon-hd-4870-single-and-crossfire?start=1

Apparently in Crysis for whatever reason, a single 4870 out performs two 4870's in crossfire..

Poopy

Lastly, unless you're running in 1920x1200 and above CrossFire doesn't provide much gain.

*******Everyone look*********

Anyways, IMO crysis will never really be able to have been run on full everything on max res. Even with two 4870X2's (maybe?) It just wont scale well.

You have the 8.6's installed, correct? Did you uninstall the previous drivers. And the 8.7s are out now. Just make sure you remove the 8.6's before installing.

Remove them through add/remove programs, then reboot in safe mode and run Driver Sweeper, then you can install the new drivers.

Back
Top Bottom