X1900XT vs. 7800GT

Jamxx

Fully Optimized
Okay, now, I've been hijacking a few threads about this, and I just wanted to start a new thread about it so I don't get too annoying! :D

Anyways, I currently have a eVGA 7800GT, only had it for about a month and it works fine. I have the original packaging, discs, cables, adapters, etc. Now, I'm thinking about upgrading to a X1900XT, hoping I get the correct 1.1 memory, and BIOS flashing it to a X1900XTX. If I don't get the memory, I'll try an RMA, or just see how it does without it. :D

I'd like to sell my 7800GT, though, and I want to have a sure sell before I decide on buying the X1900XT. I'd like to sell the 7800GT for around 250 dollars. I can negotiate, I'm just wondering if any of you think I could get that much money for it. I honestly think I can, since I have all the packaging and it is less than a month old, and it seems that it is out of stock in a lot of places. I can negotiate, though! :D

Would this still be a worthwhile upgrade? I don't want to just blow 200 bucks for no reason. There's another option, and that is buying a new SLI motherboard (The x16 by x16 type) for about 200 bucks or so, and getting a new 7800GT, which is another 300 bucks. That's 500 bucks, instead of 200 bucks. I've heard that the X1900XT(X) will actually beat two SLI'ed 7800GT's (a reviewer said that on Newegg, I don't know if I believe him or not, though...), so if that is true I'm inclined to go through with this. If anyone here would be interested in my 7800GT, it would be much appreciated if you'd let me know as soon as possible! Honestly, I've never sold anything online before, and I want to know everything I need to know before I sell it.

If anyone knows any benchmarks directly comparing these cards, I'd love to see them, which would definitely help my decision. I've poked about on Google and honestly wasn't able to find anything; though I don't know where to look or what to search for, exactly.

Thanks for reading this, and I really need some good answers here. Thanks again! :D

Yeah, well, of course! But, that's 300 extra dollars. See my point here? I'm not made of money.

The X1900 XT easily owns the 7800 GT, but considering the marginal performance increase, it's not worth spending another $500-ish on another graphics card.

Jamxx: Ok man, I'm the X1900 series Guru! The X1900XT(X) is a worthwhile upgrade is you want the best visual experience. The X1900XT will beat 2x 7800GTs. Because the X1900XT(X) has 48 pixel shader processors, and, higher memory and clock speeds then each of the individual cards. Plus, there are instances where the X1900XTX comes close to beating two 7800GTX in SLI. So without a doubt the X1900XT(X) will be the 7800GT.

Plus, the upgrade is less money. So it's more beneficial when it comes to money. Not to mention, the X1900XT(X) is a more future proof card then your current 7800GT. If it was a 7800GTX 512MB then I'd say it's roughly equal when it comes to being duture-proof. The X1900XT boasts a lot of good things. One thing is clearly its pixel shader processors, it contains 48 of them, the 7800GT has as many pixel shader processors as it does pipelines, 20. Not to mention, the memory clock and core clock is sufficiently higher.

You should definetly have a better visual experience with the X1900XT(X). Plus, once the time comes you can get CrossFire, but you shouldn't need that for a long long time. But, once the time calls for it, you'll definetly like it.

As for the price of your 7800GT. $250 is definetly reasonable. That's roughly $50 less then the OEM version of the card, plus, you have all the packaging, discs, cables etc etc. Which means that this is somethign near the Retail version. But, offered at a suffiently lesser cost. You're definetly marketing the card at a reaosnable price. I say go for it. :)

Thanks for the benchmark. Apparently, the X1900XT nearly doubles the framerates seen on the 7800GTX 256 MB in all of those situations. That seems like a worthwhile proposition! Actually, according to the benchmark, one X1900XTX was equal to two 7800GTX 512 MB SLI'ed... Um... That's pretty impressive, not to mention, what that guy above said was almost true. Note that this is with AA on, with it off, the SLI'ed 7800GTX's beat out even the CrossFire X1900XTX's... Confusing! :D However, thanks so much for that Zaki, I'm leaning toward buying this thing... :D

Alvino, I would sell my 7800GT and get the X1900XT, so I'd only be spending roughly 200 bucks depending on how much I can sell the 7800GT for. That's something that I can afford right now, so I'm thinking if I can sell it, I'll do it. If it was a 500 dollar upgrade, I wouldn't consider. Not to mention, DX 10 will be upon us, but that will be a while yet, so this will do for the current time. ;)

Zaki said:
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2679&p=12

there is no way two 7800gt cards are better than an 1900xtx, even the 7800gtx barely amounts to half of what the 1900xtx is, and sli does not = performance of one card x 2. get the 1900xtx, its a cheap card, or get the 7900gtx, but if you have the money for an 1900xtx get it.

If no AA is used, nVIDIA usually handles graphics better. However, if you're AA crazy, ATI is the way to go. :D

Jamxx: DirectX 10 will is coming up soon, and unless you plan to upgrade within half a year, don't do it. Until nVIDIA pushes out their G81 and ATI along with their R600, don't bother thinking about DirectX 10. Any cards until then won't support DirectX 10.

i dont see any point in u getting a 1900xt when that 7800gt will easily last until directx10 comes out in which case u will need a new one anyway...

Back
Top Bottom