Wireless Speed

ssc456

Fully Optimized
Guys,

Just a quick query of mine.
I've got a relatively new laptop and Sky Fibre.

I've done a couple of speedtests and i'm getting 37Mb down when connected to the router through the cable.

On wireless i'm getting 20mb, and i'm literally a couple inches away from the router.
The tests were carried out within seconds of each other.

Should there be a 17mb drop when going from wired to wireless when your as close to the router as you can get?

I always thought wireless was 54MB (although that was some time ago so maybe it's sped up since then).

So if i'm inches away from the router surely I should be getting close to 54mb connection to the router which means it should be able to handle the 37mb down speed?

Wireless speeds are tricky. They rarely (if ever) work as advertised and yes I would expect it to show a drop in speed when running the test. I don't really know why or can't really explain it but in my experience that is the case.

EDIT: The best I can come up with is that 54Mbps is the full duplex rating. That means that there is only 27Mbps throughput in one direction. And even then, that's the best you could hope for so 20Mbps isn't really that bad. And for the record, I would love to have those speeds.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom