wireless networking help!..

jay8990

Daemon Poster
so what do i need to set up a wireless network?

am i right in thinking...

a pci/usb receiver that plugs into computer

a router for downstairs

a modem to plug into the router? (this would also be downstairs)

2nd question... will all this work together? (ebay things)
router + usb receiver - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5837522155&fromMakeTrack=true
ethernet modem - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6829071033&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

any other advice is welcome but please remember i am doing this on a VERY limited budget (uk)

if you buy the second one (adsl modem and router in one) you won't need to buy the router in the first link. and when you say you need to buy a modem, I ask, didn't your isp provide a modem for you when you signed up for internet access? if so, then you would need to buy the ones on the first link, since it comes with a reciever too. then buy additional recievers for any other computers you may want to connect to the network.

but, if your isp already provided you with a modem...you won't have to buy one.

the first one isnt wireless though?

and it says i have to buy a new modem because need an ethernet one, i only have a usb one.

is that all i need though yeah?

yeah, if your modem is only usb then you can't connect it to a router...so yeah the dsl modem/router (second link) would be a decent solution for you, then you would have to buy the recievers seperate. and yeah....that would be all you would need. and since you mentioned that the modem and router would be downstairs.....I would reccomend upstairs so that the signal will be more widespread throughout the house.

the receiver comes as part of the first link!

thanks a lot

it would have to be downstairs am afriad, whole reason im going wireless is cause when ever someone walks around downstairs the net dc's! cables under the carrpet and doesnt like people steppping on it lol

one other problem is that that router is only b standard. 11MBit/s? my net is 2MB/s does this mean im guna lose some of my internet performance?

Back
Top Bottom