Windows system error

buso23

Baseband Member
I keep getting a pop up baloon on my desktop PC saying Windows system error- There is an IP address conflict with another system on the network.

I've just installed cable ADSL and previously had my laptop conected with my desktop via a cable. I guess it's mixing the addresses or something. Everything works just fine but the pop up is really annoying.

What do I need to do so that it doesn't bother me anymore.

Thanks, Ljupco

Oh, I guess that DHCP was causing the problem. I had some numbers typed by a friend previously and the default setting wasn't on. Thanks. Ljupco

Yeah, if you have DHCP enabled--it won't assign duplicate IP's to your network or at least, I hope not. First, go to your PCs and look at Network Connections. See if there are any icons for Incoming Connections. If so, delete the incoming connection, unplug-power/reboot everything, and try again.

Should you get that error message again, go to Event Viewer (Start, Run, EVENTVWR.MSC) and check the System and Application logs. Look for an entry that says something similar to this:

"The system detected an address conflict for IP address 192.168.1.100 with the system having network hardware address 00:0C:41:9B:88:89"

That hardware address will be the MAC address you need to find.

Running IPCONFIG /ALL will display all the active MAC addresses in your computer. Try that and see what it says first.

*Lol, looks like you got it fixed already after I typed up all that info. Oh well, glad it's working now.

buso23 said:
Oh, I guess that DHCP was causing the problem. I had some numbers typed by a friend previously and the default setting wasn't on. Thanks. Ljupco

Well that would explain it then, ya friend has set up static IP addresses for you. Glad its sorted

Back
Top Bottom