windows movie player

Celticsfan

Banned
I have a few movie players on my computer but I would like to make WMP the default. How do I set this up, please?

thx

I'm not sure and I know this might be useless. But if you have different movie players because one can run it, then I don't think you can set WMP as default. Just a thought. Like I said not quite sure.

First, determine what do you want it to play? AVI files? WMA files? WMV files? MP3 files? Figure out what format your content is in. Then accordingly:

Simply open up an explorer window (a standard file browser window within Windows), and find the "tools" section in menu. Click it and go to "Folder Options"- it should be the last choice:

1zxp5xu.jpg

Then the folder options dialog will pop up. Go to the "File Types" tab.

1zoeybc.jpg

Then you will see a section which has every single file type in Windows, sorted alphabetically by the extension. For example, "MP3" would be somewhere in the middle, because M is in the middle of the alphabet and list of extensions in Windows:

2wpnxpu.jpg

Then click the "Change" button a little below the list. A little box will pop up, allowing you to change what program opens up this extension. The checkbox will make sure that the program that you select will always open up that file (in this case, mp3):

35bi1qe.jpg

Do that to whatever extensions you want to open up with WMP.
Good luck, Bruinator, and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Vista has a shorter way to do that. Stay with me.

Right click on one of the files you want WMP to play.
Hover over >open with< on the right end by the arrow.
Menu opens.
Select > Choose default program
A box pops up.
Select the program to play the file.
Checkbox in the bottom left must be checked so that your selected player becomes the default for all media files.

or just right click the file you want to play in wmp. go to properties, click change, and choose wmp :)

its quicker and will actually change the program for files of that type

or just right click the file you want to play in wmp. go to properties, click change, and choose wmp :)

its quicker and will actually change the program for files of that type

yep thats the method i sue, its worth mentioning if you have a few diff formats of movie files you will need to change them all seperately,

e.g do that method once for an .avi file then again for a .mpg file, although most films are .avi now, but you may have .wmv i dunno n e ways. do it for all diff file types

Back
Top Bottom