Windows Messenger/StartUp Help Needed.

BeatTakeshi

Solid State Member
Hi everyone,

Im having some problems with startup on windows xp pro, whenever i start the comp i have my documents and my computer popping up and its doing my head in also i have uninstalled windows messenger but i still see the "Messenger" Button under Tools in internet explorer any ideas of how to get rid of this,

Many Thanks.

BeatTakeshi

In msconfig in the genral tab selective startup is selected and all ticked could this be the problem for the my document/computer auto start?

BeatTakeshi

dont think so mine is allways on selective startup.

The problem is that Microsoft doesnt like you to try to take out messenger so most likely it was a bad idea to unistall it.

You didn't uninstall it from anywhere other than Add/Remove Programs? Cause that may be the problem.

Are the shortcuts in your Startup Folder?

check the run folder in the registry, and the run once folder, could be sometrhing loading up in the start menu that you don't want to.

be careful around the registry though, make shure you do an export of the item or folder your changing, cuz you can seriosly mess up your computer if not done properly.

Ok ive run regedit went into the local machine/run folder and here is a list of what ive got in it could you tell me what shouldnt be there ive managed to delete the messenger entrys so thats fine now but im still getting the my documents/my computer folders starting everytime.

BeatTakeshi

I've included a pic in the link bellow

http://server5.uploadit.org/files/BeatTakeshi-regedit.JPG

Knowledge Base may have something. But if you go to Add Remove Programs; and then onto Program Access and Defaults - then you can install MSN Messenger 6.2 and deny access to Windows Messenger. Or use something else... say MSN Messenger 6.1? :D

Back
Top Bottom