windows does not recognize new vid card

feh1325

Solid State Member
windows XP pro will not recognize my new Powercolor 9250 256mb PCI
right now, i'm using intel "extreme" graphics 2 integrated

here's the main problem

when i first got it, i put it in, and the computer recognized it

i stupidly installed the driver which was in the cd included with the vid card, so the card crashed

i then installed the newest driver from ATI, but that crashed it too

after finding the correct driver on powercolor's website, i downloaded it, and took the card out, turned the comp back on, turned it off again, disable intel graphics, then finally put the card in and turned the comp back on, running windows normally because that was how i installed the card before

my moniter did not get a signal from the new card's port, so i disconnected it from the card and put it in the old, intel port

the intel port worked, but the intel driver was still disabled, so the computer wasn't using any driver

i checked for hardware and nothing showed up, just a disabled intel

after completely uninstalling the intel driver, i turned the comp off, turned it back on and went into bios
bios detected only the intel

is it the card's problem? or my computers? and wat should i do to fix it?

Welcome to CF, Thomas...I hope you enjoy your stay :)

Are the drivers for your 9250 still installed?

Yeah welcome feh1325.

You know when you install the drivers to the new card. Have you been using the Intel graphics to do this? or have you been putting the monitor in the new cards port and booting up?

What should happen, even without drivers is windows shoudl boot up with default drivers, VGA.
This is at a res of 640x480 and 16 million colours I think, the last time i checked. You should then install drivers, not when the intel card is therietically still plugged into the monitor, so try and take this out and plugging it into the new port and booting up :)

Unless that is your problem and why you haven't been able to do that since the monitor won't recognise it. In this case, have you got it firmly secured? If none of these work, you could have a dodgy card,

But remember, try and boot up with the new card, so that windows will recognise the card and try and find a driver itself which ou can then select. If you boot using the old card when the new ones also installed, the computer will get a bit confused :)

Hehe, and its alright Alvino, i know him :p

Hope this helps

Hmmm yeah...maybe your monitor's VGA plug is still plugged into the intergrated graphics' port, not the 9250's.

jw dont u have to turn the integrated graphics off in bios? My moms pc has that ..."yuck can even handle a game that require 256mb and 32mb hrphics card.. and her pc has 512MB and 32 integrated mb i think and 3.0 P4 /ht

but when i hook up my new vid card in and try to go to bios i cant see anything....am i supposed to hook it up after i turn of intergrated in teh bios?

Hmm thats weird then. If you have the new one plugged in, you should still be able to see the bios, even without drivers.

If you tutrned them off while te onboard one was connceted, it obviously wouldn't switch off since it stil needs it...

Hmm...

do you know what chipset the motherboard has? because some are very, very fickle about gfx cards. the most notorious ones(for me anyway) are the via km266, km266pro, km400. it could be the chipset possibly?

Back
Top Bottom