Windows Boot

Charchris

Fully Optimized
Ok, on my other PC I just formated and installed drivers and SP2... but when I rebooted it just hangs at the black screen with the MS logo

Its Windows XP by the way
I tried safe mode.... but it hangs there too

Anyone got a suggestion?

note: it stops at
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\Mup.sys
(Been going for a good 20 minutes)

Found this whilst trawling the net -

'we correctly determined that the cause of all these disparate "hung at Mup.sys" failures were actually caused by problem with the Extended System Configuration Data (ESCD) stored in the system BIOS.

The ESCD maintains a static list of Plug-and-Play resource allocations. This avoids recalculating all the allocations at each restart. If the ESCD gets corrupted, then the operating system cannot assign resources correctly. Windows makes this resource decision just after it loads the Mup.sys driver because that's when it loads the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) drivers.

You can download the (mercifully short) ESCD specification from http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/6/1/161ba512-40e2-4cc9-843a-923143f3456c/escd.rtf.

Once we knew that something in BIOS might be causing the problem, solving it was a snap. We downloaded the most current firmware revision from Dell's web site and flashed the BIOS and that was that. (Some motherboards come with an ESCD rebuild option in CMOS, so it would not be necessary to flash the BIOS.) The system booted without a hitch and performance was right back to where it had been before the problems started.'

So it seems it's a problem SP2 has with some motherboards and that resetting the BIOS or flashing the BIOS solves the problem.

So the options are -

1. Try to reformat and cross your fingers.
2. Look for the ESCD rebuild option in BIOS as mentioned above
3. Reset the CMOS by taking the CMOS battery out for about 15 mins.
4. Flash the BIOS (Only if you know what you are doing!)
5. Try reinstalling XP without SP2.

Hope any of this helps and good luck!

Wow, thanks for the information.

I'll try clearing the CMOS first
And doing the ESCD rebuild
If that doesn't work I'll format since all my installers and data is on another partition (It hard drive was only formated yesterday anyway)

I'll reply with the results

I've had loads of problems with Service Pack 2. It will be quickest to reformat and reinstall Windows, and then you can try reinstalling it - if that doesn't work, just install Service Pack 1.

If you need any programs but can't get into Windows at all, you could always install another operating system on a different partition, leaving the original file system intact and then copying any essential data across before formatting.

well i has that problem before and when i reformatted i didn't have the problem, i like service pack 2. it keeps the computer much more secure and i wouldn't use sp1 anymore.

i had this a while ago on my laptop, something to do with my bios apparently, i just reinstalled XP, and it worked okay..

Back
Top Bottom