Windows 98 problems defragment and scandisk

carewithlove

Baseband Member
I ran both defragment and scandisk in safemode and niether of them compleated scandisk reads has started 10 times because Windows or another programe has been writing to this drive but unable to find out any info about it. Disk drive has bad sectors,error running scandisk EXE.
Defragment say's defragmenting drive C cannot defrag it doesn't say why.
Scandisk hasn't been able to scan completely for 772 days and defrag 880 days ago can anyone help it would be very much appreciated.

Thanx

Adela.

Personally i would reformat it. 98 isnt the most stable OS, and it hasnt got the best recovery tools, could also be a possible virus. What are the specs of the computer? Ya might wanna think about upgrading the OS aswell if the computer can support it.

windows ME ftw!!!

... nah j/k. wid 2000 or even xp if you can. 98 was good but too many probs. wid 2000 can be tweaked to run good on crappy systems anyway

I have formated my computer as suggested so far so good, I haven't made up my mind about upgrading to windows 2000 not sure if the specs are good enough.They are as follows.

Windows 98 SE
pentium III
128 SD Ram
16 GB Harddisk
Processor 500MHZ

If I do decide to upgrade to win 2000 is my computer compatible with the spec's I've
got? where's the best place to buy it from? Ebay seems quite good,what does one do
about software, and what about technical support or any other help I might need?.
The first thing Im going to do is wait a month try and defrag and scandisk my computer
see if that works ok then take it from there. How easy is windows 2000 anyway? Any answers would be very much appreciated thanx Adela.:eek:)

Not sure what ya mean by Pentium 111. Minimum Requirements

Computer/Processor : 133 MHz or higher Pentium-compatible CPU
Memory : 64 megabytes (MB) of RAM recommended minimum; more memory generally improves responsiveness
Hard Disk : 2GB hard disk with a minimum of 650MB of free space

i would go for win 2000 , dont buy windows Millenium Edition tho , big pile of crap , also dont getconfused between windows millenium edition and windows 2000 , me is rubbish and 2000 isnt , also win 98se is far more stable than win98

Back
Top Bottom