Window not genuine.

worshipme

Golden Master
I know that my OEM version of Windows is genuine, it's been activated, but I keep getting littlewindows saying that I may be a victim of piracy etc. I have reinstalled before so that means multiple activations. Could this be the source of the problem. Do Microsoft suspect I'm installing my OEM version on multiple PCs?

EDIT: Title should read "Windows not genuine?", sorry, my mistake.

Yeah I have same problem but I am upgrading to Vista next month so I am not worrying about it at the moment. I will be worried if same problem happens in vista though because I will be reformatting my HDD a few times.

That is weird. Do you have all the windows updates installed? Back when Vista first came out there was an issue with installing new drivers and such making that come up. If your original install disk was made before the update to fix that, you might just need to update the computer.

If it was a problem with too many activations, then you would have been told and you would have needed to call MS to activate it.

I have auto updates enabled so I don't really check on that situation, and I only got this disk about 3 months ago, so it should be fine.

Official Method by Microsoft
First Method
  1. Lauch Windows Task Manager.
  2. End wgatray.exe process in Task Manager.
  3. Restart Windows XP in Safe Mode.
  4. Delete WgaTray.exe from c:\Windows\System32.
  5. Delete WgaTray.exe from c:\Windows\System32\dllcache.
  6. Lauch RegEdit.
  7. Browse to the following location:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\
    Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify
  8. Delete the folder ‘WgaLogon' and all its contents
  9. Reboot Windows XP.
These are not my instructions, I copied and pasted them. If you follow them, DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK. have a merry christmas.

Back
Top Bottom