Win 2000 Vs Win Xp

Raveboy

Baseband Member
My laptop which is 2-3 yrs old is getting pretty slow when it comes to running 3rd party programs and booting up.

The spec' is quiete low and the operating system is Win Xp Home (256mb ram and something like a 1.4mhz processor and 40gb Hard drive

I am under the impression that because the older Windows 2000 is LESS processor hungry it will actually make the computer run faster.

With a computer of my specification how much difference in speed should I see if I was to limit 3rd party programs too 1 or 2 and have either 2000 or XP.

I dont wish to upgrade any ram components or anything else. I don't want to have to spend any more money than necessary on it.

2000 would definately make it run better and securityupdates are still available for 2000 , you could also optimise the system by defragmenting and deleting unnecessary files , but the comp is still just good enogh for xp and would run 2000 much better if you upgraded to 512mb

whatever you do dont get ME in error cos that is realy poor

muz379 said:
but the comp is still just good enogh for xp and would run 2000 much better if you upgraded to 512mb

whatever you do dont get ME in error cos that is realy poor

ME was not part of the plan.

So if Win 2000 would run better with 512mb ram and I only have 256mb ram on my laptop then that means my current computer is not suited for xp or 2000 and would have to downgrade further too Win 978 SE.

What do you think?

sorry i never completed that post dont know what i was thinking
if you had 512mb ram xp would run somewhat better

but 2000 with 256mb ram will run wonderfully, 2000 runs well on 128mb ram so runnung it on 256 will be fine . it is just xp without a blue interface and a few extra security things

so i think get 2000 , you may even be able to obtain it for absoloutly nothing if you look in the right place yet iam legaly required to tell you this is illegal and not to be discusswedin the open forum it is for pm's only

well, you can optimize xp, like making the interface look like 2000, and stuff like that it may help it run a little better

I will try optimizing Xp like Hascet said but wont making interface that looks like 2000 still make it run at same speed?

I suppose I could even try using an Windows XP Optimize disk to help it run faster too!!!!

To answer your qestion, If you make XP look like 2000 it will lower the RAM that windows is using and make things run more efficnetly.

I would be carefull with what programs you use to optimize XP. some of them cause more problems than what its worth. your best bet (at the begining) is to just go into MSCONFIG and disable all unneeded startup programs.

celegorm said:
To answer your qestion, If you make XP look like 2000 it will lower the RAM that windows is using and make things run more efficnetly.

Before I do any swapping around or configuring operating systems I need to get over a recovery choice which has presented its self to me.

You will see more info on another thread entitled 'Windows Recovery Console' created by me Raveboy

if you have xp on it already you might aswell sort it out to run fast. disable themes, disable un needed startup items/services, defragment, etc etc. it should then run sh*t hot :) saves you installing 2000

Back
Top Bottom