Will i run into problems???

nickbuddy1111

In Runtime
ok so heres the deal... my friend is upgrading his computer and is giving me his old video card, mobo and processor, and i dont want to rebuild a whole new computer, just want to add into the one i have now...
he's giving me:

9800 pro 128mb
3200+
and a gigabyte motherboard

and i have an emachines T2642

and i was wondering if i could swap out the vid card, mobo and processor, and possibly buy a new psu.... anyone know if this would not work???

only thing I see being a problem would be the little aluminum plate that snaps over where you have all the connections (ps/2, usb, audio, com & printer port)on the back of your pc. The placement of them on the gigabyte probably will be different than the ones the emachine has. Just be sure that your buddy who gave you this stuff also gave you that little aluminum plate. Other than that, as long as the emachine case is ATX, you shouldnt have any issues. Especially if you change the power supply unit.

hope you realize thats pritty much a whole new computer , besides ram, and HDD. I would just use that stuff as a base and buy new stuff to go with it. New stuff for that will only cost like $300 and you will have a totaly different computer and have the Emachine for yourself as well.

Also be aware if you are planning to just put your hdd in and boot XP will not boot. You will have to do a fresh install and reinstall all the software.

This will most likely not work. For a series of problems.

#1 Emachines, actually big company desktops in general have a custom build, depending on the company. I have a Sony Vaio where the PSU is on the side of the computer, parallel to the motherboard. So a new PSU might not even FIT in that Emachine.

#2 You will need a fresh cd boot disk, because big companies tend to be greedy and if you switch a motherboard or a big component it will screw up the operating system and making it want another CD key, also make sure you have all the driver cds for your motherboard/graphics card that you got from your friend.

#3 Your new hardware MAY not fit into the case, like in #1. The motherboard may be too big, the agp slot may be too near the PCI, the screws might be too near. There's a bunch of them.

You can try though, I mean it's not going to blow up or anything. But what I would do is (If you have any sister/brothers/ anyone needing or wanting a computer for any reason) give it to them, and just start off with a new build. Maybe you can SELL that emachine for a little money and build a new one while your emachine money deducts from your bill for your new computer. Do whatever you like though, it's yours.

nickbuddy111 said:
ok so heres the deal... my friend is upgrading his computer and is giving me his old video card, mobo and processor, and i dont want to rebuild a whole new computer, just want to add into the one i have now...
he's giving me:

9800 pro 128mb
3200+
and a gigabyte motherboard

and i have an emachines T2642

and i was wondering if i could swap out the vid card, mobo and processor, and possibly buy a new psu.... anyone know if this would not work???
Just have to say "nice friend" This stuff is a long way from old to need upgradeing.
The key though is The case type and mbd type is the same.
eg" ATX so the mbd fits.

where do i get your friend haha. But check your emachines mother board if you don't have the exact model number you can always download lavalys home edition and check the specs type it in google and compare what you have with what you are getting.

I have to agree with BanChan on this one. While there is a slight possibility that your mobo will fit the openings and allow itself to be screwed into place. You are probably going to wind up with a wiring nightmare with the on/off switch and reset switch and front usb/sound connectors. Emachines like all the other branded computers is extremely proprietary...
I am not saying that it can't be done...just saying that those are the issues I have personally experienced dealing with proprietary computers.

I don't think there's any way we can give you a definate answer unless we have all the details...

well the reason he's upgrading so soon is because he's moving to canada and is stuck on the thought that its cheeper here (US) then there. he has it built at a store, never off-line and the pc-club store is one he knows and trusts

Back
Top Bottom