What's wrong with my computer?

giaviv

Beta member
Hey folks,

I recently moved and had to relocated my desktop. I basically took it apart, wrapped all the components (other than the case) in bubble wrap and rebuilt it @ my destination after buying a new case. I either did something wrong / I have a hardware problem because I get no display!
Specs:
CPU = Q6600 (with a decent cooling device)
Motherboard = Gigabyte P35-DS3L rev 2.0
RAM = 2*2GB G-Skill sticks
Power Supply = I don't remember which one it is but its a very decent 550W pure $100 power supply
Video card = Sapphire HD 4870 1GB Toxic Vapor-X
Some hard drives too

I hooked everything up together (all the wires are plugged in properly and correctly, including the PCI-E dedicated power supply, the motherboard inputs and so forth).
When you turn on the computer, all the fans start turning for about 5 seconds but then the computer shuts off on its own. If you then start it again, it doesn't shut down. I hear no POST sound but to be honest I'm not sure I ever had one.
The computer stays on, all the lights and fans seem fine, but there is no display. I bought a new PCI-E video card (HD 5670 I think) just to test it out, and same result.
When I unpacked my motherboard I noticed that some of the pins that the CPU rests on are a little bent. I tried to bend them back into position but not sure how successful I was. This makes me suspect that there's a motherboard problem, but when the computer is on, you can turn the NUM LOCK on and off and the light on the keyboard works accordingly. Does this mean that everything is okay with the CPU or is it not related because the keyboard has its on controller?
What would be my next step at figuring this one out? Getting another motherboard?

Thanks folks!

You wrapped components in bubble wrap? Directly? Or did you put them into antistatic bags first and then wrap those in bubble wrap?

If not, you may have just fried critical components. Bubble wrap is static prone, so it will generate a static field when rubbed or moved too much, and that can fry components very easily.

If that isn't the case (hardware is admittedly pretty robust these days) then bending pins back on an Intel LGA is the other problem. You CANNOT bend pins back on Intel's new LGA grid. You have to buy a new motherboard if any of them get bent.

sounds about right. i fudged up, and had to buy a new motherboard which fixed the problem.

thanks for your help!

Good deal in the end, glad you got it sorted. Also glad to hear my static theory was wrong!

it might not have been! it could be that it was because they were bent or because something else in the motherboard got messed up..

Back
Top Bottom