What's the best for keeping your PC running smoothly?

Wiredchild

In Runtime
I currently have Windows OneCare running on my PC and that is all, i don't reckon this is enough to keep crap out and i'm dubious about it's 'tuneup' stuff.

What do people consider to be the best set of programs (preferably free!) to keep a PC clean and running smoothly. I used to run AdAware and reckoned that was pretty good though it seemed to delete a lot of stuff.

I am a big fan of AVG free edition, just google it and you'll eventually find it. I also use ad-aware and search and destroy. Also i currently found c cleaner. With all of those programs i have kept my computer clean of anything. Hope it works for you.

Spybot (free)
NOD32 (AV) (Free Trial)
UltimateDefrag (Free trial)
Clear all files, history...etc from your browser every 2 weeks
Clear all temp files...etc every 2 weeks

Cool, downloaded them (except AVG as i'm running Windows Live OneCare - how do you guys rate this by the way?). They all seem to work very well and have only found a few small things, which i suppose is a good thing.

i just always wonder if they ever miss anything and delete anything necessary.

I like Comodo free stuff, there free firewall works great with Nod32, I also use there Bioclean product although quite what it does I don't know, it runs quietly in the background, never had spyware or a virus since using it, Firefox browser is a must as well
http://www.comodo.com/

Avast! Home Edition (free) http://www.avast.com
You have to do a free, quick and simple registration every year to keep it free, very good program, no need to pay!

Google Spyboy S&D and Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2008 as well, they both are free!

I also use Windows Live One Care, I like it, I dont really much care for the tune up. But as far as viruses, never had one.

I run
NOD32 smart security (freely aquired) :D
Spybot S&D-free
Adaware-free i scan prolly once a month on average
C cleaner -free- scan once every couple of months or when things slow down a bit
also have windows defender on the laptop

if you arent willing to pirate things then
comodo personal firewall is a good free one
and avg antivirus isnt bad for a free one

also a pc running smooth isnt just down to software optimasation and the cleaning the operating system you might also want to look after your hardware for instance making sure it dosent get very dusty in there and making sure the temps are at a reasonable level all the time
which means HDD's average of about 40 i would put a max at 45degrees for the hard drives
and processors all depend on the make and model and if its a laptop or d top

I always go with Adaware and Spybot. And for 30 bucks i got Fix-It Utilities to handle all my virus scanning and registry defrag and cleaning. Registry and HDD defrag every month, making sure you dont visit sites that... well you know those *Private* sites that could dumb a can of virus's and spyware into your computer. :p

Back
Top Bottom