What would you pick?

bLEEb

Baseband Member
Dell XPS or Alienware notebook? I'm searching for a good notebook ranging from about $1,500 and lower. I'm going to college next year and I'm looking for a notebook that can get all of the studies done while being able to have the capability to play steam games such as counter-strike just as well as a desktop. I'm asking for help since I don't know that much on notebooks :) I'm leaning towards a Dell due to the fact that they aren't mainly a gaming company.

Thanks in advanced.

just out of curiousity, why a notebook?

I mean I thought the same thing when i went to school but regretted it, and actually just traded my lappy for an xbox 360 since I got my desktop in oct 06.

Yeah, go with a desktop. If you build your own, you could get a hell of a monster for 1500$... expecially if you can jip the monitor off of someone :D

I've fixed computers.. all but two were dells. And I have had TONS of Physical Memory dumps (due to hdd failures in most cases) by dell. One with HP But all I had to do was push the ram in :D

No idea about alienware, I know it's suposed to be really good for gaming, but expensive as hell.. I don't know what you could get in it, expecially a laptop.

Yeah, go with a desktop. If you build your own, you could get a hell of a monster for 1500$... expecially if you can jip the monitor off of someone :D

I've fixed computers.. all but two were dells. And I have had TONS of Physical Memory dumps (due to hdd failures in most cases) by dell. One with HP But all I had to do was push the ram in :D

No idea about alienware, I know it's suposed to be really good for gaming, but expensive as hell.. I don't know what you could get in it, expecially a laptop.

alienware is now owned by dell...

I have always used a notebook, I think it's more of a comfort thing these days. That's why I'm trying to stay along in those lines.

Well, ok.. I would think overheating with a notebook would be a problem too.. for heavy gamers :D

AlienWare. But you might see what you get for the price from both... Alienware is MADE for gaming if I am correct.. and I'm sure they don't use crappy brands in their computers either..

if you insist on going id probably say go dell cause alienware is crazy expensive. and from what I can tell, not totally worth it.

Though I still think you may want to think about a desktop...but you said you have always used a notebook so its the only thing you really know...

you can always check out www.dell.com/outlet for some cheap refurbed dells...and they are pretty decent machines too...

or watch www.slickdeals.net because they have coupons for dells atleast like once or twice a week for 15% off and stuff.

there are these to
DELL
ALIENWARE

for about the same price the dell has faster processor and more ram,
overall i think DELL is a better option

notebooks are crap, they are completely thermally inefficient. you can get so much more out of a desktop. trust me, as long as you get a lcd it really wont take up that much space. and if you are worried about going to the library and getting stuff done most loan out laptops or have desktops there. but if i were you i would build one, especially if you have 1500 to blow you could get a nasty computer. alienware is fully overrated and dells just suck. look around and ask the peeps on here how to build, its not hard at all and everyone is really helpful.

Build your own. If alienware is owned by dell now then I guess you have to, down the line, ahve to go with dell :D

Back
Top Bottom