From what would I benefit more?

Zer0Cool

Fully Optimized
Hello guys,

I am currently facing a dilemma! I can't choose the right MOBO! Every board that I look at has ether one or the other. Here is what I need from the MOBO.

1st Q9450/E8500 compatible
2nd To have 3 PCI slots available (that's after installing vid card)
3rd To be a good overclocker
4th And this is where I have problems with, I can ether get a MOBO that has 1066+ram but no pci 2.0 OR I can get a MOBO that has 800 ram only & pci 2.0

What would u suggest I go for? more RAM like 1066 & no pci 2.0 or PCI 2.0 with 800 ram?
Here are some mobos that I was able to find that I think will suit my needs, depending on the 4th question resolution.

1st. DFI LP LT X48-T2R LGA 775 Intel X48 (DDR2 - 800, PCI 2.0)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813136046

2nd. GIGABYTE GA-EP35C-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128082
(this mobo has support for both DDR3 1333 / DDR2 1066, but no pci 2.0. This is a hybrid MOBO. Is this a good mobo? I heard people say DONT get mobos with dual ddr2 & ddr3 support because they have problems..is this true?)

3rd. GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128086
(This mobo supports just DDR2. DDR2 1200 (O.C.)/1066. No PCI 2.0)

I think this is my best choices out there, if I missed something plz let me know. Also price DONT MATTER! :D

To me it sounds like your'e looking for an ASUS mother board. They are very good for over-clocking, although I find that useless and dangerous myself, I would prefer to do it on an ASUS. Also their MB's are usually packed full and quite diverse. I have an ASUS M2N-E SLI. I couldn't be more happy with it, more so when you consider it's fairly low cost. I know I have not narrowed it down much for you, and personal experiances can not say much, but based on facts, ASUS sounds good for your needs, BUT, to beQ9450/E8500 compatible....I may question. Some research could cure that though.

Well I think I finally decided to go with this board, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813136046

Now all I need is some REALLY fast, overclockable RAM. Money is not a problem! I need 4GB (2 x 2GB) sticks would be the best. This MOBO has the “Memory Standard DDR2 800” Should I try and get some 1200/1066 memory and then just @ ? Q9450 or E8500 will be my CPU.

Thanks.

I just need to get this straight first, you'll be installing a PCI video card. Or your graphics card will block up one of the PCI slots?

No, I will NOt be installing a pci vid card. All 3 pci slots will be taken by 2 of my sound cards & a Network card. Also I just noticed something about this MOBO:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813136046

DFI LP LT X48-T2R LGA. By looking at newegg pics it has 2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 slots for 2.0 support and 1 PCI Express x4. What's the diff between X4 and X16? If I decided to go with this MOBO I will be using the X4 slot because the other 2.0 I wont be able to use because of the 3 pci cards that I will have. My question is how dramatically my performance will decrease because of the X4 factor? I originally thought It will be atleast a X16 slot, but now ic its only X4... Should I consider going to "DFI LP LT P35 T2R" ??? or a "GIGABYTE GA-EP35C-DS3R " ???

Thanks

DFI LP LT X48-T2R LGA. By looking at newegg pics it has 2 pci slots for 2.0 support and 1 PCI Express x4. What's the diff between X4 and X16? If I decided to go with this MOBO I will be using the X4 slot because the other 2.0 I wont be able to use because of the 3 pci cards that I will have. My question is how dramatically my performance will decrease because of the X4 factor?

PCI-E x16 has 16 lanes, X4 only has 4. This doesn't necessesarily mean that it's three times slower, just that the bandwidth is lower. I don't know of any modern GPUs that can run in 4X mode though, so don't bother installing a GPU into that slot. That slot would be fine for a PCI-E sound card or something like that though.

PCI-E x16 has 16 lanes, X4 only has 4. This doesn't necessesarily mean that it's three times slower, just that the bandwidth is lower. I don't know of any modern GPUs that can run in 4X mode though, so don't bother installing a GPU into that slot. That slot would be fine for a PCI-E sound card or something like that though.

Wow if u correct about that, then i guess this mobo is not for me...WTF this is taking way 2 long to choose the mobo. I guess I now have 2 other choices.

Should I consider going for "DFI LP LT P35 T2R" ??? or a "GIGABYTE GA-EP35C-DS3R " ??? Both of them are a P35 board, bur Gigabyte has support for both DDR2 & DDR3

Wow if u correct about that, then i guess this mobo is not for me...WTF this is taking way 2 long to choose the mobo. I guess I now have 2 other choices.
It has two full 16 lane PCI-E 2.0 slots and three PCI slots. What's wrong with that? I thought that was what you required?

Dude I appreciate ur help man, but man! I know that I don't know much about MOBO's/RAM but its obvious if u install a vid card in one of the PCI-E 2.0 slots one of the pci slots will be taken by the vid card leaving me with only 2 pci slots.

Back
Top Bottom