What will this cost in 4 months?

Space_Coyote

In Runtime
Ok, I think I've figured out what I want to get for my new build:

ABIT Fatal1ty AN8-SLI Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - $204

BFG Tech BFGR68256GTOCX Geforce 6800GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - $325

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 1GHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - $219

This looks like the best 'future-proofing' I can get ATM. I can get the 1 6800GT then another in 12-18 months. Similarly, I can switch out the AMD 64 for the X2 in the future too. I figure that should hold me for at least 2, maybe 3 years.

Anyway, my question is about how much prices drop over time. I don't have all the money right now but I will later with Christmas and Birthday money. How much do you think I'll be able to pick-up the above for then? I'm hoping 20-25% less. 4 months is a long time in computer terms and the latest and greatest will be wowing everyone.

What are everyone's thoughts on both the price drop and my ideas for future upgrades?

It really depends on what tech releases come out, or, how stable the economy is, or, even, if we're still around... :D not thinking that a major tech imporvement will come out that will significantly change all prices, or that the economy doesn't fail, or that the world doesn't end, it will go down around $20-50, depending on other factors, too much to discuss here though. My vid card was $198 and then two months later it's $178, so yeah, prices can change. Then again, they could go up, but things rarely go up for less technology, because of the new vid cards, the new cpu's, etc. there'll be a good drop... better wait... also sales can have a good affect, and also clearance, so yeah...

i say 20 bucks per item.

And that mobo is a tad bit overkill. A DFI lanparty SLI mobo will do just as well for 30 bucks less.

and 6800GT is not good future proofing. Cause the 7800 GT is only 50 bucks more if you look around.

And lastly, sorry to ruin your mood, but ATI is coming out with its own SLI soon, and their motherboards' are gonna be 15% cheaper than current nvidia SLI boards.

Their new R520 vid cards also is rumored to be 10% faster than the 7800 series.

soooo..... i say, instead of waiitng 4 months to get this system. I'd say go ATI.

Crossfire and the R520 will be brand new technology and priced accordingly. SLI has been around a little and should drop when the ATI line is released.

I actually prefer ATI but that is going to be $$$$ and I'd prefer something a little older that I can add to easily in the future. By that time, I should be able to get a 7800GT for around the price of a 6800GT now.

I'll just have to wait and see what comes out and how much it is vs the SLI route. Thanks for the replies!

Back
Top Bottom