What to upgrade next?

evilchinesefood

Beta member
I am having a little trouble on trying to decide what to upgrade In my computer next. I only have about $200 to spend. Thanks for your help!

This is my computer:
Case ( Nzxt Alpha Gaming Tower Case w/420W Power Supply Black )
Power Supply ( 550 Watt -- Power Supply )
Processor (AMD Phenom X4 9550 Quad-Core)
Motherboard (Asus M2N-SLI NVIDIA nForce 560 SLI Chipset MB )
Memory ( 2 GB [1 GB X2] DDR2-800 PC6400 Corsair XMS)
Video Card ( 2x NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 512MB EVGA )
Hard Drive ( 320 GB 7200RPM)
CD/DVD Drive (LG 20X Dual Format/Double Layer)
Monitor ( Gateway 22”)

You don't really need anything, haha. That's a great computer. You could get a heatsink for your CPU. I would just say, save it up for something else. You never know what you'll find.

^^^ not really...
A single Ati HD 3870 would beat the heck out of SLi 8600's IMO everything else is great

what kind of PSU is that?
If you can, try to save up about $50 or so max, then get 2 8800GT or 9800GT and SLI them, but dont spend more than $120 on one, excluding shipping.

Or get another 2GB of ram and get a 64bit Vista if you dont already have one.

Thats what i would do.

I think an single 8800GT is better than 8600GT SLI.

what kind of PSU is that?
If you can, try to save up about $50 or so max, then get 2 8800GT or 9800GT and SLI them, but dont spend more than $120 on one, excluding shipping.

Or get another 2GB of ram and get a 64bit Vista if you dont already have one.

Thats what i would do.

I think an single 8800GT is better than 8600GT SLI.

Please as not to repeat what I say kthx. Anyway 550W PSU is good enuf for a couple generations of hardware to come.

Please as not to repeat what I say kthx. Anyway 550W PSU is good enuf for a couple generations of hardware to come.

how is that repeating? Im pretty sure everybody will want everyones opinions, repeating or not. The more opinions, the better assurance.
just because its a 550W doesnt mean it will have enough amps to run 8800GT/9800GT in SLI.

Im pretty sure everybody will want everyones opinions, repeating or not. The more opinions, the better assurance.

very true Teny :)

as for upgrade, i'd save your cash and like you said, wait for something to come out. No need to spend it right away...there will be new stuff coming out next year i'm sure :)

As for graphics cards, im not sure if i will update it yet. I really want to but i think i should wait till i can find a current geration card a little cheaper like a 260.

i would to, but in my position, i wont be able to use SLI ever if i waited.
I think the 260 will be cheaper when a new series comes out.
A 64bit XP is not as great as a 64bit Vista, so far there not driver/software incompatibility with the 64bit vista.
How hot does your CPU run on load with that HSF?
Save up for now if you dont want another graphics card. Its best to have some extra money around in case a part fails. :D

Back
Top Bottom