What are some good sounds cards?

Ð88

Fully Optimized
I've been interested lately in picking up a soundcard for my computer but I really have no clue what's best. I mean not THE best because I am sure that gets expensive, but basically something that's mid range in price and offers the best in that class. Got some suggestions guys/girls?

Yeah, I suggest that too since its dropped in price now the X-FI range is out.

If you could afford X-FI though, and you have a decent set of surround sound speakers, that is the way to go. Added virtual surround for music, etc built in, and the latest EAX built in into Hardware for games. Plus a new Crystilser music function which makes MP3's sound alot better I've heard.

Audigy 2 will definietly be cheaper though, and is worth it.

Plus the chips allow you to get a bigger surround setup when you want it if you haven't got one now :)

I have a Sound Blaster Live card still (4.1 channel max) running on a Creative set of Inspire speakers in 2.1 formation, and think the sound could be a little better at times.

Ok cool, Audigy 2 sounds good. Another question, I have heard that buying a dedicated sound card can improve system performance. Since the sound is no longer integrated in the mobo the cpu doesn't have to work as hard to process it. I read that it can improve game performance like increased framerates and such. Is that true?

Yes thats true, since its not sharing the CPU's power, and the RAM's, etc to run it. So you'll get more performance in games since its running dedicated from everything else.

It'll also stop jittering you can get if your CPU is doing a hard task, where the sound jumps about, and yes it'll help with the frames per second in games when alot of sounds are running.

Not to mention, the sound is tonnes better, with no distortion, and no extra sounds, like with my dads laptop on a Realtek sound board. You can actually hear the hard drive working if you plug it up to an amp... talk about bad signal/noise ratio.

Back
Top Bottom