What should I do?

iflabs

Baseband Member
Well, my compuer isn't working too well anymore. I could probably come up with $200 to fix this. What should I do?

A. Pay a technician to have a look at it. If it doesn't fix, at least the problem will be isolated so I can buy the part that needs fixing.

B. Take a risk and buy a new mobo. Hopefully, this will have everything working.

C. Have my parts sold and go towards an AMD system. Advice on where to sell is also helpful.

D. Keep the $200 and start crying; never again able to enjoy a PC anymore.

My system specs:
2.8ghz prescott ht
d865gbf mobo
fx5900xt
audigy 2 zs
kingston value ram 512mb x2

What kind of problems are you experiencing? I have to tell you that technicians charge an arm and a leg. There are a lot of capable people on here that will do just as good as them. Perhaps post some problems you are experiencing and we can try to come up with some solutions first before spending money.

TRDCorolla1 said:
What kind of problems are you experiencing? I have to tell you that technicians charge an arm and a leg. There are a lot of capable people on here that will do just as good as them. Perhaps post some problems you are experiencing and we can try to come up with some solutions first before spending money.

Initial Problem: http://www.computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=3351

Previous Problem: http://www.computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=7880

Present Problem: http://www.computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=3351

Hahahaha. I'm totally lost and out of luck.

wow, that many problems? I didn't realize it's been posted around here. You should get a power supply tester to test out all the power leads coming from it. They're pretty cheap and can let you know right away if that's the culprit. It can be anything up to this point. At least you got Windows installed.

I would say get a new motherboard and processor (AMD). Buy a power supply tester first and double check it. A good way to test your memory is swapping it out with another PC. Have you tried that yet? I've always find swapping a good way to troubleshoot. Fortunetly, I have two PCs to work with.

CarpeNoctem said:
You should invest in a new computer. If you really feel obligated to sell your parts, do so on ebay.

Well, this computer was built brand new from custom parts and been running it for only 4 months.

Everybody keeps saying the power supply, so I might check that out. I kind of doubt it's the problem, the PC was working fine until something happened. I think it's the mobo since I had to replace that once to get everything working.

I might opt to go with a athlon 64 3000. Kind of discouraging not being able to get a decent return value on my parts though.

Oh, will my memory work with a athlon system?

Yes. Memory will work. I can do a swap right now with the memory I have in my Athlon 2500+ into my 3500+ Athlon 64 if I wanted to and it will work. Both are running DDR400 anyways. What speed is your memory? Even if it's not the power supply, it's still a handy tool to get.

TRDCorolla1 said:
Yes. Memory will work. I can do a swap right now with the memory I have in my Athlon 2500+ into my 3500+ Athlon 64 if I wanted to and it will work. Both are running DDR400 anyways. What speed is your memory? Even if it's not the power supply, it's still a handy tool to get.

DDR400 PC3200

Would you know chain stores--like best buy-- that sell PSU testers? Just wanna pick up one locally.

Back
Top Bottom