what processor to use for a gaming rig?

aidynphoenix

Baseband Member
hello guys.. i have 2 agp motherbaords here.. one is AMD other is Intel. i happen to have a intel pentium4 @2.4ghz
and a Athlon XP 3000 barton.
how would the athlon stack up versus the intell in gaming performance?

i will mostlikley be useing a gig or more of ddr 400 ram.. and a nvidia 6600gt 256mb videocard..
suggestions welcomed :)

ok well i benchmarked several different videocards last night..
i got benchmarks for the athlon xp3000 only.. going to start the P4 here soon.
it seems i reached a plateau,
just for the record.. my ram is 1gb of ddr266. set correctly.
it seems as the videocards get better. the framerate stays about the same.
i was amazed that a geforce4mx440 could play farcry so well.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

farcry was always 1024x768. doom and painkiller were 800x600 resolution

well this isnt for my main rig.. this is for my little brother..
my main rig is better. amd 64 5000+ black edition, nvidia 9600gt, 3gb ddr800 ram..

not finished benchmarking yet.. but the pentium 4 system is beating it by a decient margin..

with that system what do you guys think might be the main bottleneck responsibe for the same framerates between a geforce4 ti4800 up to a 6600gt?
im thinking it must be ram speed maybe? the 266 isnt fast enough??

interesting results...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I suggest you do the same foothead. He said he already has these parts. How else would he be able o benchmark them. ;)

Looks like the Intel Pentium 4 and the 6600GT are the ones to use. :D

I didn't know if he was willing to buy upgrades or not. all the listed parts are pretty dated, but a gpu upgrade would definitely help.

And yep I agree, P4 and 6600. Btw, were both benchmarked with fresh os installations? I recall the 3000+ being faster than a midrange P4

well the p4 seems to run best with the 6600..
yes it was a new os installation.. no background programs other than fraps..
newest directx 9.. and i reinstalled the right nvidia driver after each time i swapped videocards,, (i didnt use the same windows install from computer to computer)

but there must be some kind of bottleneck going on.. i mean a geforce4 ti4800 with 128 on it shouldnt run anywhere near a 6600 with 256 on it..
do you think the ddr266 ram speed is the bottleneck? perhaps slowing down what the processor can give the videocard?

Back
Top Bottom