what is PF Usage?

dahobo

Baseband Member
i am running on Pentium 4 with 256 MB of RAM

my PF usage is around 200 MB

can anyone tell me what PF Usage means? and is my PF Usage too high for my PC?

thanks

PF=Page File

Page file is RAM, but also the virtual memory used on the HDD. Windows sets a specific pagefile.sys with the size in it and it is the one that uses as if it was RAM. So, instead of filling your memory, some of the applications goes on the HDD. That's why you see it blink from time to time

lhuser what do you think of my PF usage? is it too high or too low? if i should change it, how would i do it?

please help thanks

The page file is where windows puts things when it runs out of physical memory. HOWEVER, some programs are written to use the page file as a temp storage space. Us old timers refer to it as the swapper. When you use a program such as a word processor and have more than one document open then the one you're on is in the ram while the rest get shoved out to the page file on the drive. As you switch to other documents it will shove out the one and grab the other from the drive. Confused? Don't worry about it.
The rule of thumb for the page file is to set it to 1.5 times the amount of physical ram you have. In your case if you manually set the page file it will look like this>
256 * 1.5 = 384
Looks like windows has set the page a little short. If you have a small drive such as 40 or less gigs then leave it set on let windows run it. If you have 80gigs or better then set it manually. Set the min and max to the same figures.
Page files operation can slow down a system if windows uses it a lot. With the small amout of ram you have I would venture it's doing that a lot. More ram, more ram, more ram...

Back
Top Bottom