What to look for in a harddrive

Legion Kreinak

In Runtime
When it comes to harddrives, I'm still kind've lost.

What's Serial ATA150? IDE Ultra? SATA?

Which is the "best choice"?

Well, it depends on what type of computer you're building. Serial ATA150 and SATA are the same for the most part, Serial ATA150 sends data at about 1.2 Gigabits a second vs. IDE Ultra's 88 MB/s

Serial ATA is much faster, especially if you connect more than one hard drive via raid controller.

got SATA a little more expensive but it is the best spead and everything for your dollars

Anyone wanna help me rationalize something?

The computer I have right now has 40 gb. I still haven't used it all up. 15-20 GB is music alone. Outside of that, it's emulated stuff, pictures, documents, and some games. I was looking at two harddrives. One has 160 GB for $81. I doubt I'd ever even use up that. The other has $250 GB but it costs $105. Is the $24 jump worth the 90 GB, even though I probably don't need it? I'm trying to be economical, but when I see a 90 gig jump for that cheap, it's hard to hold back, even if I don't really need it.

That's the marketing strategy. I would just get the 160 gigabyte one, I mean, you'll probably never use up that much space and even if you do, by that time, there will be a LOT of stuff you can take off to make room, I'm sure.

You could put that extra twenty bucks towards better RAM, better case, etc.

Back
Top Bottom